Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   JoAnn's (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/joanns-t16726.html)

eparys 02-21-2009 03:07 PM

Originally Posted by butterflywing
i think you're right, patrice.

i think that the stores may be franchises, with each owner making his own rules. otherwise, i can't understand the complete differences in what they allow.

I worked at a Viking dealer inside a JoAnns and was told by the folks at that JoAnns that depending on what is "sold" at the shop and how it moves dictates what they get. I am sure that somewhere there is a computer analyzing all the sales. They can special order stuff but they have no control what is shipped to them for stocking, even if customers complain.

rabbit2b 02-21-2009 03:31 PM

The JoAnns I've seen lately have been really disappointing. I thought they'd be good for baby quilt stuff, but the selection was limited and the quality was not so good--and that really showed up after the first wash. So I think I'm sticking with the LQS.

BTW, if anyone's looking for batiks at great prices, Bowman Fabrics, an ebay retailer, has been good for me for five years now. They have lots of other things, but I don't have experience with those.

>>JoAnn's higher quality items are a very similar price as the LQS. If I'm paying LQS pricing, I'm going to the LQS and buy what I really want.

Shemjo 02-21-2009 03:47 PM

I hhave freinds who swear by the Joanns stores and I go and can't find a thing that interests me! I think a lot depends on what you are used to and looking for. I keep trying, but have difficulty even using my coupons for notions! :?
Now when I go to the LQS, look out checkbook! :lol: (I have found where they keep their discounted fabrics! :lol: )

butterflywing 02-21-2009 04:59 PM

Originally Posted by rabbit2b
The JoAnns I've seen lately have been really disappointing. I thought they'd be good for baby quilt stuff, but the selection was limited and the quality was not so good--and that really showed up after the first wash. So I think I'm sticking with the LQS.

BTW, if anyone's looking for batiks at great prices, Bowman Fabrics, an ebay retailer, has been good for me for five years now. They have lots of other things, but I don't have experience with those.

--Heidi

http://community.webshots.com/user/rabbit2b

>>JoAnn's higher quality items are a very similar price as the LQS. If I'm paying LQS pricing, I'm going to the LQS and buy what I really want.

i just checked out your webshots and WOW! :thumbup: :thumbup:

you go, girl!

butterflywing 02-21-2009 05:04 PM

i read somewhere (maybe here) that when you shop for fabric, hold a single layer tight over your gold ring. real tight. if you can see the glitter of the gold through the material, then it's less than good quality.

that's been happening to me more and more often at joan. their stuff is coarse and you can feel that it's loaded with stiffeners. hold it up to the light and you can see everything going on in the store. i have no lqs, but i'd rather pay s + h and buy sales online. or travel a while to a clearance center and spend time picking my way through piles of garbage looking for the good pieces.

stashblaster 02-21-2009 07:26 PM

I agree that if I'm paying $8.99/yd, I'll go the the LQS. For pete's sake, I bought fabric today for $8.50/yd. The quilt shop is cheaper than Joann's.

Arizona Sunrises 02-21-2009 08:54 PM

Originally Posted by stashblaster
I agree that if I'm paying $8.99/yd, I'll go the the LQS. For pete's sake, I bought fabric today for $8.50/yd. The quilt shop is cheaper than Joann's.

After my last visit, I realized that I'm simply done buying fabric there. I'm not a fabric snob. I don't need to have the best of the best--I cut up used clothing and recycle it as quilt pieces, for goodness sakes--but I'll be darned if I'm going to spend THAT much per yard on second run fabric. It's just ridiculous.

Jim's Gem 02-21-2009 09:45 PM

I don't like the quality of most of the fabrics at my JoAnns. I went in there yesterday and bought a spool of quilting thread. It came to $11!!! The last time I bought that brand of thread there I only paid $6!!! I didn't even bring my coupon cause I had no idea that it would be that much. I pretty much only use them for notions and thread when it's on sale. Fortunately I have several quilt shops withing a short drive and can get lots of great fabrics on sale.

melnmom1 02-22-2009 08:32 AM

:D I always print a coupon prior to leaving to go to JoAnn's. Plus I receive the sale paper. I make a trip there at least 3x a week using the coupon. What a saving. Of course you can only use it on regular price. But it sure helps. Happy quilting

Darlene 02-22-2009 12:52 PM

I just wanted to clear something up I can't use all the coupons on one item, I have to use them one per item. They aren't that liberal here LOL.