Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   Jody Barrows technique (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/jody-barrows-technique-t220509.html)

Whitney60 05-02-2013 05:31 AM

Jody Barrows technique

I went to a Jodi Barrows trunk show. It's all so interesting. Has anyone out there used her square in a square technique ruler and different options? She says there is little waste. She had some beautiful quilts. Thanks for your input.

dakotamaid 05-02-2013 05:37 AM

I was really into her a few years ago. BUT there is some waste and that is not what I'm into. Also there are alot of bias edges to worry about. If you are a careful sewer than her techniques are time saving. JMO :)

MartiMorga 05-02-2013 05:45 AM

I took a class a few years ago for the Square in a Square, and enjoyed it. Found some of the "term-onolgy" kinda silly but all in all looked like a good idea. Then I learned a different method. I found the Square in a Square had a lot more bulk than the other system.

Prism99 05-02-2013 10:25 AM

I like doing square-in-a-square using the Accuquilt Go! to cut the pieces -- all perfectly cut with dog ears nipped off to make matching easy. Outer edges are on the straight-of-grain. Accuracy is great, and there is little waste. Fast to cut and fast to piece.

AliKat 05-02-2013 10:45 AM

I love her rulers. They are so easy to use.

I do not use her technique though because of the waste. Instead I mae slightly larger triangles and use them instead of rectangles and cutting away a lot of material.

NanaCsews2 05-02-2013 11:13 AM

I wasn't sold on her techniques. I have found there are simpler easier ways for me personally to do her patterns and those I have found that are very similar to her patterns, without all the waste. I was also not impressed with giving my personal information to download the free patterns. I know other sites do as well, and I won't download if I can't get past putting my name, etc. in their files to get a free pattern. MHO

Maggiem 05-03-2013 08:56 PM

I studied her methods a few years ago, when they first came out, and although I was intrigued, I found I could do the square in a square very easily without the wasted fabric. Because I live so far away from sources of quilt fabric, wastage is a very, very important issue for me. That is why I decided not to follow her methods.

Karenowc 05-05-2013 04:37 PM

1 Attachment(s)
I went to a lecture/trunk show and purchased a lot of her rulers, fabric and books.
I took one class and made a table runner. I don't think I took any photos and of course gave it away.

I also did a small (and I mean, small) wall hanging. The squares were 1" cut! I'll see if I can find a photo and post.

Whitney60 05-11-2013 05:25 AM

It's very pretty. I was going to try to convert a pattern from a magazine using her ruler, but decided to stick with what I know. Then, one of these days make a quilt from her book using her ruler and have all the instructions right in front of me. Thanks.

IowaStitcher 05-11-2013 05:53 AM

I agree with not giving personal info. But sometimes we need to learn to not be so honest. I have made up some info to fill in the blanks before. Unless it is legal stuff,and/or to my advantage, don't see the need to share.Who knows, who cares. "Sue me". ;-)