Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   Joining batting pieces (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/joining-batting-pieces-t153157.html)

Mkotch 09-16-2011 03:43 AM

I like the tape - makes a smooth line. When I zigzag I have trouble keeping it even.

scrappy2 09-16-2011 05:37 AM

Originally Posted by MIJul
I use a basting needle and whip stitch the pieces together.

This the way I do it too.

Becka 09-16-2011 05:58 AM

Originally Posted by MIJul
I use a basting needle and whip stitch the pieces together.

Me too, and it worked very well for my purpose. I haven't tried the tape.

She In PA 09-16-2011 05:59 AM

Over lap the two pieces and cut a wavey line. The pull apart so they are not overlapping and sew together with a tight zig zag. That way you won't tend to have a straight line in your batting when you go to quilt. Hope that makes sense.

anniebannanny 09-16-2011 06:12 AM

I have been butting the edges of batting together and zig zaging it for years....my friends used to think I was nuts but I was just being frugal. Now with the invention of the new tape my life is "sew" much better. I love this new tape. Works like a charm.....you have to try it!!!

matraina 09-16-2011 06:20 AM

Here's what the tape does:

Heat Press Batting Together
HEAT Press Batting Together is 1 1-2 inch cloth tape that will fuse two edges of batting together. It is soft, its thin, it stretches, its needle easy for hand or machine quilting.
Quilters - We do not have to sew the batting edges together anymore... we can fuse it.

Item no: heatpress_sgl

Item no: heatpress_sgl
Wholesale Price: $6.50 Each

Here's just one place you can get it: jhittlesewing.com

I've used it and like it. Almost everywhere I've seen it, it's the same price.

patdesign 09-16-2011 06:22 AM

Originally Posted by Suedon
Any suggestions for the best way to join batting pieces so that they are wide enough to fit my quilt. The quilt is a 58" square and my batting is only 48" wide.

I found some fusible tape on line that you iron on the batting that is flat edge to edge, it works like a dream and does not leave the quilt stiff. I paid about $6.00 a roll and it is worth every penny. :-D

quiltingal 09-16-2011 06:31 AM

I was taught to never use a straight line for basting the two pieces of batting together. Overlap the two pieces of batting about three inches and cut the two together in a gentle scallop curve all the way down, remove each small end piece and baste the two remaining big pieces together. I do it by hand. This will prevent showing a seam in the batting. Hope this makes sense.

Jingle 09-16-2011 06:34 AM

I do a large zig zag atitch by hand, can't tell when the quilt is quilted by FMQ. I have made whole battings this way. Takes time but uses up scraps.

lauriequilts 09-16-2011 06:46 AM

I have used the tape on Quilter's dream battings (some poly) and it works fine. I use a flour sack towel between the batting and the iron for battings with poly in them.