Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   joining batting (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/joining-batting-t268078.html)

ruby2shoes 07-28-2015 12:58 AM

Thanks everyone for your advice, as always, most appreciated.

QuiltnNan 07-28-2015 02:53 AM

i use a machine zig zag. if by hand, , i use a ladder stitch. last week, i pieced 7 narrow strips together to get enough width. it was a wall hanging that won't get washed much.

ManiacQuilter2 07-28-2015 03:16 AM

I have never done an "S" curve. I do overlap the edges and make sure it is straight and will butt up to each other nicely. I use 2" cut strips from a bolt of lightweight fusible Pellon fusible interfacing. I have been doing this since the early 90s. I use only Hobbs 80/20 batting.

giquilt 07-28-2015 03:32 AM

I make changing pads as my "practice sandwiches" and zig-zag multiple pieces together. Granted, I do quilt quite close together on those, but even after LOTS of washing in warm water & med-high heat in dryer, I've never seen any issues whatsoever.[/QUOTE]

Good idea to make these changing pads as samples.
I have a stitch on my Husavarna that is called a bridging stitch, which I use. It is simular to a zigzag, but the needle goes down an extra time in the middle of the zig and zag.

Melanie Rudy 07-28-2015 05:08 AM

Originally Posted by dunster (Post 7269587)
I used to join with the curved seam and whip stitch by hand. Now I just butt two straight pieces together and zigzag on the sewing machine. So much faster, and there's no problem with it coming apart or "showing" after quilting. I don't think there's any reason to fret over it, and certainly no reason to do it over.

I use this same method and it works very well. I have joined some crazy odd pieces of batting together to make a full piece for my quilts and never have had a problem with any creases or bunching.

Judith1005 07-28-2015 05:27 AM

I too, just zig zag my batting together on my machine. It seems pretty sturdy.

jojo47 08-03-2015 06:03 AM

I zigzag straight edges of batting together and haven't had problems, nor has the long-armer I take my larger quilts to...she does the same with her own quilts.

sprice 08-03-2015 06:16 AM

I have used the iron on tape for this purpose. It works great. It's a roll of mesh 3/4 inch wide and has the iron on glue on one side. I use a silicone sheet to protect my iron. It's Dritz Quilting Fusible Batting Tape. I believe I got it at Joan's.

mom-6 08-03-2015 07:21 AM

So how would one make the S curve work with doing quilt as you go? I've just been making sure my batting met in the middle of the sashing for each square.

Phyllis nm 08-04-2015 06:20 PM

I HAVE JOINED BY HAND AND ZIG-ZAG . Then i got a "fringing" foot to join them.
when you zig-zag you crush the batting. With this foot it forms extra thread in the stitch and lets the batting retain the fullness. This is fast and easy.