Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   Joining strips together for a border or log cabin? (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/joining-strips-together-border-log-cabin-t303712.html)

suspendedglass 03-20-2019 11:04 AM

Joining strips together for a border or log cabin?

I am working on a simple quilt (supposed to be!). I need to join strips of the same fabric together for longer strips. I am wondering if they should be joined on an angle like binding strips or just put the right sides together and make a seam.(kind of like a border when strips are not long enough) Thanks

Queenbarbiej 03-20-2019 11:11 AM

I would join them straight since its a border.

feline fanatic 03-20-2019 11:27 AM

If I have enough fabric I always join at an angle. If I am short on the fabric I join with a straight seam.

The theory is that the angled seam is less eye catching with most prints. Especially once quilted.

I have found this to be true with most prints but some prints show no matter what unless you take the time and effort to match it (something I won't do). Solids show no matter what style seam you use but it can be camouflaged with quilting.

Tartan 03-20-2019 11:47 AM

It depends on the pattern. If I am doing something like Log Cabin with straight joins, then I use straight joins in the borders. If the pattern has a lot of miters in the pattern like star, I join on the 45 degrees. I will however do a straight join if I am short on fabric so I can stretch out my fabric further.

NJ Quilter 03-20-2019 01:07 PM

I don't think I've ever joined border fabrics on an angle. Always use straight seams. But I will also agree, that depending on the fabric design, angle and matching might be less distracting by using an angled seam.

Watson 03-20-2019 01:11 PM

I always join at an angle.

Watson

Quilt30 03-20-2019 01:28 PM

Angle because it is less noticseable. The eye will stop at a straight and not at an angle. There are times that fabric is short on borders and binding and I will join at whatever angle can be done. An angle less than 45 degree, in my opinion, is better than straight.

Iceblossom 03-20-2019 01:38 PM

When I am joining fabric for width if I can do an angle I do, not only is it less noticeable but in my opinion more stable than a "butt joint".

If it is a border then I look at the rest of the quilt and also what I'm using for my fabric. If the quilt was all butt joints and no angles, then unless I was working with a stripe I'd most likely put the long sides on first, then the top and bottom.

suspendedglass 03-20-2019 01:45 PM

Thanks. I am using both solids and prints . Yes I might just butt ends. I guess quilting will distract and because it is log cabin style I should be ok.

Jingle 03-20-2019 02:25 PM

I use either one. If I do a straight seam I make it about 1/2-1" at the join.

I have a Lover's Knot booklet by Eleanor Burns where she uses straight seams. I figure if she does it then I can too.