Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   A Journey of a Thousand Steps or How Do I Get There From Here? (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/journey-thousand-steps-how-do-i-get-there-here-t264004.html)

tkhooper 04-14-2015 10:43 AM

A Journey of a Thousand Steps or How Do I Get There From Here?

Hi all,

I know I've been around for awhile but I'm still a beginner. I've decided that starting with hard quilt patterns is not the way to go. So I took a beginner machine piecing and beginner machine quilting class. And I've watch U-Tube for specific techniques. Now I need to know what to tackle next.

My final goal are ten window quilts for the house. They are "The Garden Door", An Asian Circle Applique, A fused Stained Glass Butterfly, A Mount Fuji Panel that I want to do with a reflection of the mountain in the quilt, a Compass Rose, 3 Baltimore Album Quilts, and two asian panel quilts to go on either side of the Mount Fuji Quilt in the bay windows.

Can someone tell me what I should be working on to improve skills that I will need to finish the quilts I want?

JuneBillie 04-14-2015 11:09 AM

Oh you had me all interested in what you were describing. It sounds so beautiful.

I don't have a lot of advice, but to practice on all your new skills. I am a lot like you too. I have been sewing along the way, but was a beginner, and still consider myself a beginner too.

I love the process of learning and improving anything I work on. I always felt like I was trying hard to at least do my best, and I guess I was at the time. Now I can see I have improved, and I take lots of pictures just to keep and be able to look back at my process.

At first I couldn't do binding worth even mentioning, but the rest of the little quilt at the time I did the very best I could. I did try to tell myself that the imperfections left were my sign that nothing is perfect, and that helps me. Now I still might do the simpler binding on a mini quilt with the turn over method, but I have also been able to do the full binding too. Now I look back and it took me forever to make that correct fold when I would get to the corners, but when I did I was so thrilled and knew that is what made it all worth it.

I have my regular machine. I don't have an embroidery machine or long arm, so I just have fun with my machine, and have learned more about fabrics.

I just have to say this now. When I first started I remember some writing about how they only want fabric from their private or regular fabric shops. I thought well what's wrong with other stores that happen to also sell fabric? Now, I would rather buy much less fabric at a time, but buy it at my private fabric shop. The quality is amazing and just so beautiful. If I know I will be working on mini's or a block of the month, and happen by the fabric shop usually on my way for a doctor visit away from where I live or nothing particular in mind, I will buy even a 1/3 of fabric of a couple of kinds to put back. I am on a fixed income too, but want to use what is worth buying. This did take time for me to understand this. Mostly from receiving beautiful things in swaps where what I received was made out of wonderful fabric that felt so nice, and looked just amazing.

My mother use to talk about just loving to feel the fabric when there. I remember thinking momma that is a bit strange. Now I love standing looking at that fabric and just feeling it just like momma. :)
Now I have learned more about the better thread, correct needles, etc. :)

I have been watching more 'you tube' videos and they really are so helpful to me.

I watch what everyone makes to get ideas.

I have some magazines left to me by my mother, and have a few good books my dear hubby bought me.

I just recently learned to paper piece, and I know not everyone enjoys it. I had wanted a basic beginners book on it a few years ago, so hubby bought it for me from Carol Doak. It is a great book, but I still didn't get it. I actually made a little heart one, but I forced it. lol.. I sewed it not sure how I got it together, and did a bit of stretching. (pathetic) lol.... I got away from it after that.

Just last week I had that urge again that I wanted to learn it. I watched a few you tube videos on it to add to what I had already seen. I would start to get a bit more understanding from each, but each were also a little different in their way of explaining it. Then on this one video something she said clicked to me like no other, and I was so quick to run to my sewing table, and begin a little square piece. I only had one tiny issue which was not moving my second piece over enough. I just wasn't thinking then. So I took that little piece loose did it again, and there it was. I got it!
I was so thrilled with it. I didn't just accomplish finishing correctly the little diamond in a square, but I enjoyed the process so much. I had fun just using the little turning card etc. Now I want the little ruler they say is very helpful. I want that next month, but it will be my birthday so I will hint. lol....

I over did it I guess by taking pics of that little first piece, and posting on pictures but I was so proud. Since it was my first little one done, I made it into a little coaster for my husband who is very supportive of my sewing/quilting.

I doubt I have helped you any, but you just made me think of my own beginning and all my trials. :)

Other wonderfully experiences gals and guys alike on here will have lots to pass on to you.

This board has been the biggest blessing to my sewing/quilting enjoyment of anything else.

Geri B 04-15-2015 06:19 AM

Your "goal" pieces sound wonderful, but speaking from experience, there will be many sidetracks......I guess from your post I read you wanting to hang these from a bay window? Just remember sun lite is fabric's enemy! If I'm reading you correctly

Cherylsea 04-15-2015 06:51 AM

My advice, for what it is worth, is to make a sample or practice piece before doing each "real" one. That will show you what you need to work on. If you have window shades behind your quilts, sun fading won't be much of a problem. There is also sun resistant sort of home dec fabric that you can buy for backing - I use heavy denim which has held up very well.

justflyingin 04-15-2015 06:53 AM

I'd take a look at or maybe invest in the series of books that are quilter's academy--Books 1-4.

http://www.amazon.com/Quilters-Acade...words=Hargrave

Painiacs 04-15-2015 08:54 AM

My other suggestion is get a graph book, I draw out a lot of my project first to see how difficult it is or to have it to reference to especially the the one with the panels.
I'm doing one like it and wasn't as easy as I thought as the panels are different sizes

lynnie 04-15-2015 09:47 AM

Baltimore albums are a lot of applique, so i'd practice that if you haven't done it before. circles and points to be specific.

tammyk 04-15-2015 11:23 AM

I plan to buy the blackout fabric for the backing if I can find it. My lqs doesn't carry it.

I have book one of that series. I'll see if I can get the rest at the local quilt club library. Thanks for the tip.

I do have graph paper and have graphed the first two of the Baltimore Album Quilts I want. I thought I had done all three but I can't find the third one. I'm thinking these should be the last ones I attempt of all ten.

I hadn't thought of doing practice ones first. I could do that as part of my mini quilt series. Thank you for the thought. I also hadn't realized that the panel ones had hidden pit falls so thank you for that tip as well. I'd have walked right into it.

There is a workgroup for applique in our quilt club so I'll join it and get in the practice with the circles and points. Is the inside curve as difficult as it is in dress making?

mom-6 04-15-2015 01:33 PM

For the blackout fabric why not just get a blackout curtain from Walmart/Target/$store?

Peckish 04-15-2015 06:16 PM

Joann's and Hancock's carries blackout fabric. It's not really something a quilt shop would carry.