Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   The joys of waxed paper! (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/joys-waxed-paper-t172532.html)

DeniseB 12-19-2011 12:31 PM

Great tips, thanks so much for sharing.

wildyard 12-19-2011 03:51 PM

I used wax paper. Can't see thru the freezer paper and I needed to see thru it. Perhaps a regular tracing paper would work also. I checked my needle and didn't find any sign of the wax building up on it, but I'll be sure to keep an eye on that. Thanks for the heads up. I'm not going to ask how you know about that problem. LOL

GEMRM 12-19-2011 03:57 PM

Tissue paper works really well for rubber backing type of stuff, I used it when applying non-skid backing to a sewing machine pad. Works wonderful for helping things move along, and tears off easily too - just a little flex of the fabric pulls it off along the seam for the most part, and tweezers help remove the rest.

maryb44662 12-19-2011 04:12 PM

Originally Posted by wildyard (Post 4794532)
I just wanted to share an accidental discovery I made while working on a t-shirt quilt.
I had a few shirt fronts with heavy vinyl designs and my machine just would not move over the vinyl and kept sticking to it. So I got some waxed paper to lay over the design and sewed over the paper so my foot would slide over the paper. Well that was the perfect solution for that problem but what I also discovered was that it is also the perfect solution for sewing stretchy fabric in general.
I found that I could quilt the design using the wax paper and my foot glided smoothly over the fabric, never needing to be lifted because of stretching. The twists and turns following the design were so easy as the wax paper allowed to foot to glide almost as if it were floating over the design.
I do not use fusible on my t-shirt quilts, just a piece of muslin or cotton under the knit.
To remove the wax paper, I simply used a bamboo skewer, went over the seam line with the point and it tore right off. Any little bits that remained came right off with the skewer tip.
You can be sure that from now on, all my t-shirt sewing will be done over waxed paper, whether there is vinyl or not. I was able to quilt the remainder of the squares in about 1/3 the time as the first ones.

I have been quilting borders by drawing my vine with leaves onto the waxed paper, then pinning it to the borders (I used the 3 inch borders), then I stitched right over the wax paper. Works great and the needle doesn't collect the wax, and seems to let the needle work better. The tearing away of the waxed paper is great also and I do use a tweezers to get the little biddy pieces. I use regular stitch length or 2.5 and it works great. Thanks for the tip on sewing over vynal, I will have to remember that when I try to quilt over vynal appliques.

Stitchnripper 12-19-2011 04:30 PM

What a great tip. Thanks!

lizzyq 12-19-2011 06:03 PM

Great tips. Thanks to all for sharing them.

LivelyLady 12-19-2011 06:37 PM

Wow!! What a clever idea you had!! Saving it in my "helpful hints" folder.

cathyvv 12-19-2011 06:41 PM

Great idea. So great I used it to sew through a very thick bottom of a bag that I made. My machine wouldn't sew through it, but the waxed paper helped and the bottom is done!

BETTY62 12-19-2011 09:57 PM

Thank you for this hint. I had a problem with the fabric not moving well on so applique work. Maybe this hint will resolve my issue also.

starlite 12-20-2011 04:08 AM

Very clever idea thanks for the tip!
Janet