Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   Juki TL2010Q bobbin empty (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/juki-tl2010q-bobbin-empty-t259606.html)

evelyn5269 01-12-2015 11:37 AM

Juki TL2010Q bobbin empty

Ok, all of us that have this machine love it but I wonder how to tell when the bobbin is empty before I sew a mile with no thread. My Sapphire tells me on the monitor and my Janome I can see and know exactly how far I can go but this bobbin you can't see. I just wondered if there is something I should be looking for when it nears the end.

Tartan 01-12-2015 11:46 AM

Oh dear, the dreaded air sewing! My Bernina bobbin area gets a little noisier as it runs down on thread.

Cari-in-Oly 01-12-2015 01:10 PM

With almost all of my machines I can hear it when the bobbin is getting close to empty. It's a subtle change in the bobbin noise.

Cari

ManiacQuilter2 01-12-2015 01:32 PM

I start to hear a different sound from my Bernina when the bobbin has almost run out.

Prism99 01-12-2015 02:21 PM

I wonder if coloring the thread with one of the Crayola washable markers would help. Maybe wind a little thread onto the bobbin, stop the machine, color the thread with the marker, then finish filling the bobbin. I guess I would just make sure that I could color the thread, iron it, and still have it wash out later; a little test swatch for this would be in order! I'm thinking the dots of bobbin color should show up enough while sewing so that it would provide a warning.

Peckish 01-12-2015 04:29 PM

It sounds different, plus if you look at your sewing every now and then, it's obvious there is no stitching going on.

sewlo 01-12-2015 04:39 PM

I agree with peckish, it sounds a little different and you will probably notice this after you have run out of bobbin thread a few times.

GrammieJan 01-12-2015 06:27 PM

Originally Posted by Prism99 (Post 7045253)
I wonder if coloring the thread with one of the Crayola washable markers would help. Maybe wind a little thread onto the bobbin, stop the machine, color the thread with the marker, then finish filling the bobbin. I guess I would just make sure that I could color the thread, iron it, and still have it wash out later; a little test swatch for this would be in order! I'm thinking the dots of bobbin color should show up enough while sewing so that it would provide a warning.

That wouldn't work for me, I can't see the bobbin thread while I am sewing. And I cannot tell any difference in sound on any of my machines. I just look once in awhile to see if everything looks OK. Seldom sew air for very many inches.

AngeliaNR 01-12-2015 08:21 PM

There is a slight difference in sound, but you have to listen closely for it. I've never owned a machine that alerted me--miles of air sewing history here. :)

Prism99 01-12-2015 08:25 PM

Another idea is to use a small digital timer. Set it to go off at regular intervals while you are sewing, to remind you to check that threads are interlocking. It takes only a couple of taps to reset the timer. It might be annoying; however, anyone who has continued sewing without bobbin thread for 20 minutes (and I shall remain nameless) might appreciate it!