Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   Juki TLQ 2010 (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/juki-tlq-2010-a-t215655.html)

Joan in AK 03-06-2013 11:17 AM

Juki TLQ 2010

Hi,
I am very interested in this machine for piecing and fmq, but have a couple of questions. Does this machine have a scant 1/4 inch foot, and also how is the fmq foot. Do you like how the fmq foot works?. For those who have the machine, what do you think of it? I have to order online, so want to be sure.
Thanks

sharoney 03-06-2013 01:54 PM

I bought one at the Houston Quilt show in 2011. I love this machine! It only does straight stitch- but you can regulate the speed of your stitching. It comes with a 1/4" foot, 2 FMQ feet- 2 different sizes, and a walking foot. I love love love to FMQ with this machine. It has an automatic thread cutter on the foot control, which I use for piecing all the time. The bobbins are bigger than a lot of domestic machines so you don't have to load them as often. I only had one issue with my machine. The people I bought it from did not take the machine out of the box and run it- I took it home from the show as it had been shipped to them. You have to oil the machine frequently, and when you first use the FMQ feet, you have to oil them too- the FMQ foot was very stiff and took some use to loosen it up. It doesn't sit on the fabric, it bounces like an embroidery foot. But it works great now- I do love my machine!

wilburness 03-06-2013 02:23 PM

I brought mine a couple of years ago to FMQ and it is great. mine does not have the speed control on it. I should have waited a year. great machine. you will love it.

azwendyg 03-06-2013 02:28 PM

I would order this machine in a heartbeat! I have the older Juki TL98Q and LOVE it for both piecing and FMQing. The newer 2010 has a few additional features including an adjustable speed control and an additional tensioning dial. I have tried several different FMQing feet, but really like the one that came with the machine the best. It also comes with a walking foot, a 1/4" piecing foot and a zipper foot. The thread cutter is WONDERFUL, as is the knee lift. I found the needle threader to be kind of quirky and useless and eventually removed it. I've done a LOT of FMQing on this machine and it is a real workhorse. You do have to oil it, but I've never had a machine that you didn't have to oil, so I don't see that as any kind of a disadvantage. I have quilted lots of small quilts and several queen size quilts with this machine. It's a little tight working on the really large quilts, but certainly do-able.

Joan in AK 03-06-2013 03:24 PM

Thanks so much for your replys. Does the 1/4" foot sew a scant 1/4' seam? Does it come with the machine, or is it a separate purchase. Also, I have read that some people do not like the FMQ feet. Do you all find that the feet work well for you.
Thanks again.