Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   june taylor ruler (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/june-taylor-ruler-t304604.html)

toogie 05-08-2019 08:27 AM

june taylor ruler

Does anyone have the June Taylor Fancy Frame Ruler? If so, do you use it often? I guess what I'm trying to say is it worthwhile to buy. I don't know how much I would actually use it and as fairly new to quilting and not having many rulers, I hate to pay so much for one ruler plus shipping cost. Someone suggested I put a scallop border on my Roses on the Vine, sq in a sq quilt top. That's the only thing holding me up from having the top finished ready to quilt.

Queenbarbiej 05-08-2019 08:32 AM

I don't have the ruler but I've seen where people have used either a dinner plate or a saucer to make the scallops. I would try the plate method before I buy the ruler.

MicheleC 05-08-2019 08:40 AM

I don’t have the ruler but the tool they use in this video would be easy enough to make, I think. I thought they also gave some good tips for borders. https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=Gb16tYnYSfE

KalamaQuilts 05-08-2019 09:08 AM

toogie, for scalloped borders I cut the width I want from newspaper taped together the length of the top.
fold in half, fold in half, yadayada, then use a plate to shape the scallop. You can then use this (free) template to trace the scallops on the border. Starting from the center both top and bottom so you come out equal on the corners.

SueZQ from MN 05-08-2019 09:15 AM

what a good, inexpensive idea

QuiltnNan 05-08-2019 09:42 AM

Originally Posted by KalamaQuilts (Post 8250626)
toogie, for scalloped borders I cut the width I want from newspaper taped together the length of the top.
fold in half, fold in half, yadayada, then use a plate to shape the scallop. You can then use this (free) template to trace the scallops on the border. Starting from the center both top and bottom so you come out equal on the corners.

thanks for sharing this method. i use a plate, but never thought about the newspaper to make them come out even

toogie 05-08-2019 10:41 AM

This is a brilliant idea!
I knew about the paper plate, but his is ingenious! I have a roll of paper I can use, with yards and yards. I love this site and all the different (and same) ideas everyone shares! Thank you so much!

Originally Posted by KalamaQuilts (Post 8250626)

Iceblossom 05-08-2019 11:28 AM

Another option for the newspaper is parchment paper you get from the dollar store (parchment, not waxed in the cooking supplies section with tinfoil). It's clean, transparent, sturdy enough to use as a pattern, yet you can sew through it for quilting designs and it tears well. But I really love the 12" width and the long rolls. That 12" size and the traceability are key.

A size I find really handy for arcs is a CD, ah for the days of free AOL disks. I also have some other things, like a fiskars circle cutter, I've certainly used plates, and I have a compass but I'm not too happy with it. I've been watching the thrift stores and wanting to find a high quality drafter's compass that has the dial that you tighten to hold the position. I have seen them before but not now that I want one. My cheapo crummy Jr High style one isn't doing the job.

KalamaQuilts 05-08-2019 11:30 AM

wasn't my idea, sure it has been around for decades. I came upon it when Jinny Beyer's border fabrics were popular and that is how she worked out where to cut the borders from the fabric to make them come out right on the ends. The idea of paying for a ruler for this boggles my mind ;)

Shallower scallops make it easier to bind but I've done pointy scallops too.

nativetexan 05-08-2019 12:28 PM

Yes, i don't put deep dips in between my scallops. I like my binding to go on easily. so no dips as much as slight curves. I think i used a ruler from Quilt In A Day, Eleanor Burns.