Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   Just Another Post About Buying Long Arms! (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/just-another-post-about-buying-long-arms-t207483.html)

pumpkinpatchquilter 12-03-2012 06:40 AM

Originally Posted by topstitch (Post 5695177)
Hi Pumpkin, I have responded to you in your private messages, but wanted to add that when I bought my first machine. a Tin Lizzie, there were only 2 other LAer's in my area. There are now 7 of us so the competition is much greater. Also, because I am in a rual area of Va. quilters to not hesitate to mail their quilts off to someone on E-bay,etc. This too cuts down on you customer base. I have stayed busy because I have a very fast turn around. I do not hoard 30 or 40 quilts at a time. I limit it to 5. But once I get your quilt I get it back to you in a day or two. My customers think I am a great business person but actually it is just a personality trait. I lack the gene that enables you to postpone "stuff". There is the fact that I don't sleep also!!!!!

Thank you for your comments Topstitch I appreciate it! I got your PM and will keep all of that information handy, thanks for your input! I really am interested in all views negative and positive so I can make the best decision for myself.

I know what you mean about hanging onto quilts -for me, I wouldn't want something in my house longer than I NEED it to be - I have three kids and four pets and I'd like to purchase garment bags and a hanging rack to store customer quilts on to keep them "safe" but I couldn't sleep at night with 40 quilts that don't belong to me in the house. I am not looking to do that much work either, I don't want a big business. I stay home with my kids so I want them to come first. Not to mention we have four or five really GOOD reputable long armers around here and I don't want to compete with them. I just want to do a few quilts on the side for extra fabric money and maybe a few more than that around December to help pay for our Christmas. But I like to make BIG quilts and I'm just outsewing my domestic.

maverick 12-07-2012 03:47 PM

Originally Posted by pumpkinpatchquilter (Post 5694497)
I'm really leaning towards a used machine because of my budget - do you think it's a bad idea to buy something as old as the 90's? I mean - I really WANT stitch regulation, but space is a lot more important to me and I'd be willing to sacrifice it at this point to get a bigger work area.

Absolutely buy used if you can find a good deal and the machine is worth it. Most dealers and manufacturers have used machines. If you decide on a Nolting you can call Dan at Nolting and ask any question ... they believe in the truest form of customer service ... you can't go wrong. Good Luck

cedarvalleyquilts 12-07-2012 09:54 PM

"You know, silly me, I didn't even THINK about checking out the deals at shows. There is a show in the spring. To be honest, the ONLY reason I'm inclined to go new is for the warranty and customer support."

We purchased a used Nolting 24...WITH warranty and excellent customer service. Be sure to check directly with companies you're interested in. They all get trade-in machines. See which ones give you the best warranty/customer services. Chances are you can get a great machine at a fraction of the cost of a new machine.

Christine

cedarvalleyquilts 12-07-2012 09:57 PM

Originally Posted by maverick (Post 5704817)
Absolutely buy used if you can find a good deal and the machine is worth it. Most dealers and manufacturers have used machines. If you decide on a Nolting you can call Dan at Nolting and ask any question ... they believe in the truest form of customer service ... you can't go wrong. Good Luck

I couldn't agree more with your statement....Dan Novak at Nolting is the TOPS in customer service. He's helped us whenver we needed something. The whole customer service dept. there is great.

Christine