Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   Just because I own a sewing Machine . . . . (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/just-because-i-own-sewing-machine-t60614.html)

grammy Dwynn 08-21-2010 10:39 AM

1. can you mend this . . . .
2. can you make . . . . . . .
3. will you help me sew . . . . .

Or --- Oh you QUILT!
1. can you make me one
2. oh I have this fabric (?), do you want it

Do any of you face these statements?

Jeanniejo 08-21-2010 10:40 AM

Only from the 4 year old neighbor when she needs her favorite princess dress repaired !!

PurplePassion 08-21-2010 10:44 AM

Yea, my daughter-in-law, when she or the girls need their pants patched or a zipper replaced. I just leave them lay on a pile til they forget about them. It is not worth my time , and they don't appreciate anything. I told them I would show them how to do it.

sharon b 08-21-2010 10:47 AM

I tell everyone I don't sew :wink: There is a difference :thumbup:

Will I make... I will add you to the list but I am about 5 years out :shock: LOL

mary quite contrary 08-21-2010 10:50 AM

I have a neighbor that insists on buying things at garage sales that need mended and brings them to me to fix. I do the same thing as PurplePassion. It's hanging in a bag on the back of the door. Maybe someday but probably not. I don't do my own mending why would I do someone else's?

I would DEFINITELY mend a princess dress though. That's important!

Tink's Mom 08-21-2010 11:13 AM

Yes, son's girlfriend has a pair of pricey jeans with a broken zipper...I told her I won't even look at them until January...and if it is too much work I won't do them...

gollytwo 08-21-2010 11:16 AM

Originally Posted by sharon b
I tell everyone I don't sew :wink: There is a difference :thumbup:

Will I make... I will add you to the list but I am about 5 years out :shock: LOL

Me too
I just tell them I don't sew. And it's the truth.

cjomomma 08-21-2010 11:17 AM

I have had that problem a few times. I don't mend clothes except for my family and I only quilt when I want too. Some ppl don't like to hear that. I gave a friend a needle and thread once and she never asked again for help with sewing.

Lisanne 08-21-2010 11:22 AM

I don't (yet) own a sewing machine, but here are ways I'd answer those questions if I did:

-- Yes, I'd be glad to mend it if you'll watch my kids for the afternoon (or whatever favor you seek). Or just do the mending and then feel free to ask a favor down the line. I mean, maybe they already have something you'd like in return, like free legal advice or they make awesome cakes or grow tomatoes.

-- Yes, I can make things like that, but I don't do it as a profession.

-- What kind of help did you need? I'd be glad to try helping with a tough spot, but if you need guidance with the whole item, it would be better for you to sign up for a class somewhere.

-- Sorry, I only do this as a hobby. There's an alterations place on _____ Street. Or Mary down the street also sews, and she takes in sewing to earn extra money.

-- Sure, I can do that that for you. My fee is $_____. Or, I'll swap you for it.

-- I'd love to take a look at your fabric, sure! (And then if you can't use it or don't like it, refer them to eBay or the freecycle section of craigslist.com)

-- Yes, I quilt. Why not try making your own? Then refer them to a class or the local quilting guild. Or, if you're so inclined, start a quilting circle with the two of you and others you know.

-- Yes, I quilt, but it's not like stringing beads for a bracelet. Quilting takes a lot more time and money, so I don't make them as favors.

-- Sure, I'd be glad to do you this favor. But please understand that I don't do this regularly for people. If they ask why not, just say it's because you don't want to, or you'd put out a sign and charge for it.

clem55 08-21-2010 11:51 AM

Oh,my, yes! When I was doing a lot of clothing for myself, daughter, people would ask all the time for zippers, hemming, taking in a seam, I called a local dept.store, asked what their charge was and and then I did some. Mostly it was friends, but I charged anyway. When I was ready to stop that, I did. Only doing mending for my sons now , if they need it. But they all know how to sew on buttons!!