Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   Just bought June Taylor Shape Cut ruler (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/just-bought-june-taylor-shape-cut-ruler-t235860.html)

mengler 12-03-2013 06:06 AM

I liked the 12-12 so much I got the 12-18 so I could cut more strips without readjusting. They are great. The first slot shows wear but has held up great. I can't cut a straight line, so the JTSC was a life saver. I hang to store but usually it just lays on my cutting mat because it's my go to ruler. The videos are helpful. It can be used for cutting shapes per the video, but I'm a "stripper" lol most of the time and haven't used it for HSTs or other shapes. Best thing is to find what works for you. Joann's is have half off and free shipping over the holidays which makes the price better. I think amazon had good prices too.

sparkys_mom 12-03-2013 06:14 AM

I love my shape cut. I've only used it to cut strips but I think one of the big advantages is I have to do fewer cuts to 'even up' the edges. I have the 12x12 and didn't know there was a larger one ... I'll be looking for that next. :)

I hang mine on the wall and I agree they are a bit flimsy but I've managed not to destroy mine so far.

Debbie C 12-03-2013 07:27 AM

I just went onto JAF website - The 23 x 20" is on sale for half price - $41.99. I'm going to have to pass until I see a 60% coupon (however, I did mention gift cards from JAF would be lovely stocking stuffers!!)

quilter2090 12-03-2013 11:08 AM

I love mine. It is the most used ruler that I own. As far as being flimsy, I have never had any problem with it. It makes strip cutting so easy. You need 2.5 inch strips, you put the shape cut on the fabric and every 2.5 inches cut. You don't have to lift the ruler,you just cut the strips to the end of the ruler. Since I bought my Shape Cut,my strips come out beautiful. I don't put another ruler next to it,just put the rotary cutter down into the slot and off you go. I was watching a demo for the Acuquilt, they were making the strips. First got 2 rulers to cut the fabric so it was straight,then they went and put a section of the fabric in the cutter. I could have cut the strips much faster using my Shape Cut. Would not be without it.

meyert 12-03-2013 11:30 AM

The shape cut ruler is wonderful! I use mine more and more often. Since some of you are calling out different sizes I am going to have to check into those.

I do have 1 problem (not show stopper - just an annoyance) the spot where you start that is sort of tear shaped I must have nicked mine because my rotary cutter keeps getting hung up. Now I don't know how to smooth it out - - I wondered about sandpaper in the slot but I don't want to mess it up.

I was going to purchase another one just to start fresh - but WOW did I get a deal when I bought mine. I got it at Amazon for $19 and when I went to purchase another one it shows $34.... can't get myself to spend that again

maryel 12-03-2013 02:10 PM

I want to get one!

palmetto girl 12-03-2013 04:35 PM

Best quilting tool I own!!! I have a Go cutter but this shape cutter stays out on my mat all the time. It is all ways accessable, much eaiser to get to than my go and just as easy to use. Thanks to the QB I got one quite a while ago. love it. I have tremors and can' hold a ruler straight.

Raine54RN 12-03-2013 06:02 PM

I have one that I bough when I was at carslo s house and Amazon was where the best price was. I love it! It has helped my confidence cutting! Love it

diamondee 12-03-2013 06:12 PM

Originally Posted by Neesie (Post 6434739)
I use painter's tape, to hold together the slots I'm not using. That keeps the 'open' slots from shifting, as I cut. It also helps prevent cutting, in the wrong slot. The tape can be reused, many times.

​Brilliant!!! why didn't I think of that? Thanks Neesie :)

GailG 12-03-2013 06:49 PM

Originally Posted by dunster (Post 6433800)
I bought one at Walmart and returned it - thought it was too flimsy. Yet many people do love them.

I love mine. To stabilize the slot that I am using, I just place my pinkie and my thumb against the OTHER cut edge of the strip. That prevents the strip from sliding.

I bought mine years ago at full price at Hobby Lobby. I feel like I have gotten (and am still getting) my money's worth out of it.

diamonddee, what a great idea. I will definitely try it.