Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   A "just in case" quilt (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/just-case-quilt-t290309.html)

osewme 08-09-2017 06:59 AM

A "just in case" quilt

Have you ever made a quilt "just in case"? DH & I have some dear friends who will probably be relocating to another town. If they do I would like to make them a lap quilt to take with them but I don't want to be rushing with it at the last minute. Have you ever made a quilt under circumstances like this and if the obvious did not materialize then what did you do with the quilt? Did you keep it or give it to someone else (even though it was intended for them). I am planning on making a quilt for them in advance & if for some unknown reason they happen not to move I can still give it to them as a Christmas gift.

QuiltnNan 08-09-2017 07:02 AM

sounds like a great plan to me. i often have quilts for such occasions.

Tartan 08-09-2017 07:06 AM

I was making a quilt to go on my mother's hospital bed for her birthday but she died before I could give it to her. I will donate it to Hospice with a little label in memory of my mother.

nativetexan 08-09-2017 08:41 AM

I'm making a lovely DP quilt with Fairies print fabrics and so far no granddtr likes them. lovely fabric. making a pillow to match even though the quilt is only about 60x62. used almost all of the left over scraps to make backing. I'm trying hard to clean my sewing room project by project.

dunster 08-09-2017 09:12 AM

If they are dear friends then I would make the quilt anyway and give it to them to tell them how much they mean to you.

Feathers-N-Fur 08-09-2017 10:25 AM

I make quilts that I want to make. Rarely do I start out with a recipient in mind. Frequently, it will get a home by the time it is finished, but if not, then I keep it. I enjoy my projects more when I do them this way. I hate working on fabric I don't like. I still want to make a quilt for my youngest sister, but she has a king size bed and her bedroom is brown. I just can't work up any motivation to make a king sized brown quilt.

Mitty 08-09-2017 11:30 AM

Your plan of making it into a Christmas gift sounds good. You could also keep it in case you need a last-minute gift for someone of course. After rushing through quilts (using large, simple blocks) for a couple short-engagement weddings, I thought it would be a good idea to make a lap quilt to have on hand for nobody in particular, but I've never gotten to it. It wouldn't be customized to someone's color preferences, but I don't always know those anyway, and it probably would have been better than what I made. On the other hand, that doesn't happen often, and so it would probably sit in my closet for some years before I needed it.

quiltsRfun 08-09-2017 12:03 PM

I usually make what I like with no intended recipient. I just make quilts and keep them until I need one for a gift. Then I choose one appropriate for the occasion.

JJBlaine 08-09-2017 12:16 PM

Most all of my quilts have been started because I liked the color, fabric, or design, with no intended recipient in mind. They usually "tell" me who they belong to as I work on them.

I am working on one right now that is intended for my brother, and I'm just not enjoying the process as much as I normally do.

Jane Quilter 08-09-2017 12:31 PM

I always have several ready to go.....baby, vet, hospital. For Friends I usually make custom so the colors and design suit them personally.