Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   Just curious... (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/just-curious-t21248.html)

sewsue 06-12-2009 10:25 PM

I dont buy the packs but have often bought fat quaters one by one. It gives me more freedom to buy what I need and want. :D

SulaBug 06-12-2009 10:58 PM

I tend to buy either, by the yard or single FQ's.
It just depends on what I see that takes my eye.
:D :D :D

sewsue 06-12-2009 11:25 PM

Sulabug I also tend to buy fabrics that way. Just what takes my fancy. Just wish I had bought more of some fabrics!!!!!!

NY Nancy 06-13-2009 04:30 AM

OHSue,

You get a free FQ even if you only just bought a half-yard? That's pretty nice! Can you choose any FQ in the shop - even if it's a brand new fabric? Or is there a bin of freebies that you're limited to?

Jamie 06-13-2009 05:06 AM

Up until a few months back, before we ran into some problems with money, I would definatly buy bundles, but only If I had something in mind to do with them, and the colors and style was good...I tried never to buy more fabric then I would reasonable use, Just because I've never really felt comfortable spending money on myself...which is why I've given away most of my quilts lol. I use to go every 3 weeks to my fabric store, and get myself what I called a goodie bag...I would have a few random pieces, a bundle and a couple FQ's, and a few 1/2 yrd pieces of "favorite" styles or colors that I knew I just had to have. I find a lot of times, in my area atleast, you can save money buying a bundle..but sometimes it is a risk, because there is always some I don't care for...which I always tend to give away to those who could use them.

sewsewquilter 06-13-2009 06:02 AM

I don't buy that many FQs. I like yardage better. I will buy them if the price is right or if I need an accent color for a small project. They just don't seem like a good value for the money.

kapatt 06-13-2009 06:34 AM

When I buy fat quarters, I buy them individually. I don't like other people picking out my material for me. I'm making a quilt with different colored stars in it for my daughter. I had a lot of fun picking out the fat quarters for the individual stars.

After saying that, I have to admit that most of the time I buy my material by the yard. I always buy 1/4 or 1/2 yard more than I need so I've built up quite a bit of stash of my own brand of fat quarters. What I've bought at different times in the past, coordinate very well together when I mix them together for my present or future projects.

greenfairy 06-13-2009 06:56 AM

I know for me, whenever they go on sale I buy 'em up know matter what they look like. Sometimes I get home and think, "why did I buy these?" Then I remember, 'cause it was on sale! I have far too many fat quarters, but it's better than not having enough I guess.

OHSue 06-13-2009 06:57 AM

There are five shelves of the freebies, always pretty full. They use the second half of the bundle FQ or second FQ from a half yard cut when a customer has one cut, so the choice is the same fabrics that are in the store on bolts. I have never had trouble finding a FQ I like. If you see a bundle you like but don't like one of the colors, they will take it out and cut you another of your choice at no extra costs. The bundles are priced the same as the FQ.
I don't specifically go for just half yard to get a FQ, but no one seems to mind if the purchase is small. They also overcut all their fabrics, so no shorts on the folded FQ. I was once purchasing about a dozen 6 inch strips for a project, and my sales person even said, well lets make sure to get you more than the six inches so you can be sure to get your two strips out of each. They also have a generous coupon program, at least monthly, and daily in december, give you big discount week of your birthday, but when I missed that week, they were nice enough to give me the discount on my next purchase which was pretty large.
FYI, my shop is in Columbus, OH and it is called Quilt Beginnings. They also have excellent teachers and staff.

AkAngel 06-13-2009 09:19 PM

I have to many fqtr's to count.... But the only time I've bought them as a bundle was this year when I was buying Civil War Repro's and then I went totally overboard..... anyway I ended up with about 120 different ones before it was done, I'll never use them all up. Can we say scrappy quilts for life...lol
Muriel