Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   just finished quilt top and all I see are my mistakes (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/just-finished-quilt-top-all-i-see-my-mistakes-t161874.html)

Moon Holiday 10-21-2011 04:16 AM

I have found the best thing to do is take a photo of the quilt top before you begin to sandwich the layers. I swear I can look at a quilt of mine a thousand times and never see an error until I take a picture of it. Then when I look at the photo, the mistake seem to jump out at me. That is the time when I can decide whether I want to correct it. We all know that once the quilt is completely finished, it is too late.

maryp 10-21-2011 04:34 AM

practice makes perfect so dont worry .

Caswews 10-21-2011 05:02 AM

Hmmm.. I look at a mistake as" quilt love", made with love put into it as we are all human! IF I can rip it, I do, if I cannot: then it becomes the "quilt love". ALL I can do, yes I get upset, but then I remember quilting is a continual learning item, and I learn from every mistake I make !

vickiehornback 10-21-2011 06:14 AM

I've always heard the Amish quilters intensionly put flaws in their quilts because only God is perfect and if you don't point out the flaw no one will notice anyway.

Annaquilts 10-21-2011 06:17 AM

I have learned to relax over the years and things no longer have to be so perfect. So there is hope. Did you baste, quilt, bind and wash yet? Once I am at that point I am just happy with getting it finnished and sleeping under it. It is like falling in love all over again. :lol:

Sierra 10-21-2011 06:28 AM

If I spent any time obsessing over errors in the quilt I just finished I would never get any done! I have arthritis, which doesn't help, can't hold a needle so everything has to be machine sewn, can't make a decent corner, etc., etc. But, my quilts are mostly for family and for a school which needs bus quilts and for good causes... and none of those people seem to care about the imperfections. I'm in my 70s and simply don't have time to worry about how imperfect my sewing is. Actually, I'm not the type of person who notices the details... just the finished big picture. Relax, as DH says, "In 50 years it won't make any difference".... but of course, maybe that's not true with quilts :>)

ShirlinAZ 10-21-2011 07:03 AM

I've been sewing for 50 years and I still see my mistakes first, for quite a while after finishing a project. The good news is that in time you will remember the mistake but not be able to find it without looking really hard (if you find it at all).

Tallbald 10-21-2011 07:20 AM

Dear Miss: I've been doing woodwork for 30 years. I recently took up leather work. I, repeat I, am my own worst critic. I see mistakes I have made on works, and honestly, I seem to be the only one who notices them. I finally recognized that my mistakes only individualized my pieces, and see that only a factory-made, mass produced item is likely to be "flawless". Please don't worry that a project you have labored on is not "perfect". In a world of mechanical uniformity, let us celebrate human variation!! Your work is HUMAN. Years ago I felt your frustration with my works. No longer do I concern myself with inaccuracies. Be comfortable with your works of artistic endeavor! I can go to a big-box store and buy "perfection". Don Sterchi

GAgal 10-21-2011 07:27 AM

Teach yourself to look at the positive. Finishing a quilt is quite an accomplishment. Perfect or not, the quilt has a job to do and that is to keep us warm. Who can see the mistakes when they are sleeping under a warm quilt?

soccertxi 10-21-2011 07:33 AM

I swear, quilters are the most critical of their work of any group I have ever seen in my LIFE! That being said, I used to be as hard on myself as you are on yourself. I finally came up with this (repeat as needed till it just POPS into your head when you are looking at your quilts): 'I have something to learn from EVERY quilt. I'm better today than I was yesterday. So what DID I learn from this quilt?'

So what DID you learn? What DO you want to get better at? OK, now go start a NEW quilt!