Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   Just got a tip. (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/just-got-tip-t174710.html)

valsma 01-06-2012 03:28 PM

Just got a tip.

I had gone over to our local WalMart to pick up a fabric that I needed for the contrasting fabric for the mini bow tuck I want to make. While I was there I got in a conversation with the Dept. Manager. She was telling me she has two pallets of $1.50-$3.00 fabrics coming in soon. She also said when she ordered she told the person that she has a large number of quilters who shop there so include fabric good for quilting. She's a quilter so she told them cotton's. So I will keep checking back to see what happens.
I don't know if other stores are going to be doing this, I just know this store is.
I really like this new dept. manager. When she orders fabrics she trys to order a number of fabrics in collections because of the quilters. She just got a denim look collection of fabrics in and they look nice, don't feel bad either.

franc36 01-06-2012 03:40 PM

That sounds great! Our WalMart still does not sell fabric. You are fortunate. I hope the fabric gets to your WalMart soon and that you like the quality.

QuiltingGrannie 01-06-2012 03:45 PM

I know the fabric we get in for that price isn't all that great nor usually good for quilting. A lot of it is hand wash only and comes from 'unknown fabric". I usually help my dept mgr order the fabric and try my best to get collections etc as much as I can for the quilters.
I'd love to know what company the mgr there is ordering from. So we could also. I work in the fabric dept of our WM.

Phyllis
QuiltingGrannie
Quilter's Pantry

skrucker 01-06-2012 04:03 PM

Do you mind if I ask 'where' in Oregon you are? The store here in McMinnville does not sell fabric anymore.

Lois-nounoe 01-06-2012 04:26 PM

We, in Denton Maryland, are finally getting our very own Wal Mart!!! Hopefully by this summer. They have just broken ground after 10 yrs of promise. It is going to be a Super and I am praying that they will have a fabric department. Nearest fabric is in Easton Md at 20 miles away. Nearest Joann's is 26 miles away. With gas and fabric prices up I would rather spend money on fabric! LOL

#1piecemaker 01-06-2012 04:32 PM

Our Walmart doesn't handle fabric anymore. However I did see that they had brought some back to the Walmart in a town nearby. I'll keep my eye open. (Like I need anymore)

happymrs 01-06-2012 04:37 PM

Lucky you! We got a new Walmart a year or two ago, but no real fabric dept. They sell some bundles, & fqs, not great fabric either, but that's about it, so far, darn! Maybe I should complain, wonder if any other quilters in this area have yet?... The only real LQS is clear across the nearest real town to us, which is Asheville, & we are 20min from it, on this other side. Oh well...

traveler53 01-06-2012 04:44 PM

I just bought some $1.50/yard fabric at the Walmart near me in N.Y. It's not 100% cotton. You have to wash in warm water and dry on cool. Also iron on cool. I didn't realize it until I used it for a friends backing. I had gone back to the store and looked at the top of the bolt. It felt different. It is pretty. I can't remember what they called it. Sorry. So check the top of the bolt before you buy it.

QuiltingGrannie 01-06-2012 04:47 PM

Originally Posted by traveler53 (Post 4849382)
I just bought some $1.50/yard fabric at the Walmart near me in N.Y. It's not 100% cotton. You have to wash in warm water and dry on cool. Also iron on cool. I didn't realize it until I used it for a friends backing. I had gone back to the store and looked at the top of the bolt. It felt different. It is pretty. I can't remember what they called it. Sorry. So check the top of the bolt before you buy it.

I try to ask my customers what they are using the fabric for so I can direct them to what they need and direct them away from what may not work. It's still up to them to buy what they want, but I point out washing directions or fabric content. Wish more co workers and fabric dept people would do that.

Phyllis

coldquilter 01-06-2012 05:08 PM

Our WalMart has discontinued the fabric department. Makes me sad as I usually found stuff there for our charity group at a little better price than the local quilt shops.