Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   "Just let me get my magic wand..." (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/just-let-me-get-my-magic-wand-t278407.html)

madamekelly 05-06-2016 10:32 AM

"Just let me get my magic wand..."

I thought it would be fun to share stories of all the ridiculous, impossible quilt requests we all get from time to time, so we can all enjoy the laughs.
My "magic wand story" -

Last weekend, my DSister was packing to go to Texas to be with my DN when she gives birth to her little Emily. This was on Wednesday, and she was leaving on Sunday. In the middle of all the crazy that goes with packing for what might be an extended trip, she looks at me, smiles, and says "I would love to take a hand made quilt for Emily, could you whip one up before I go?" My next line really was "sure, just let me get my magic wand." I did end up taking one of my favorite "gifted by a fellow quilter" quilts off my wall (it has butterflies made with fairy frost fabric) , and after washing it, and adding a label to identify the maker, sent it with her. Three days and a wake up for a quilt? Really? Some of you could have done it, but I will never be that quick.

What "let me get my magic wand" moments have you had?

jbj137 05-06-2016 11:02 AM

*** My story:
*** Can you make me a quilt for my camper
*** so I want ruin my good comforters?
*** I guess quilts are only for dirty, trashy places.

Quilty-Louise 05-06-2016 11:11 AM

A long time friend just assumed that I would just make him, and
his wife a quilt at MY expense.

When I handed him an estimate for what the cost of materials,
and time it would be he asked me if I was crazy. When I explained
to him that I am not a money tree, and that my time is worth more
than he wanted to pay.

He than informed me that he could go to WalMart and buy a quilt
much cheaper. i informed him that YES he could, but he needed to
keep a couple things in mind when he did.

1) it will NOT be custom made just for him & his wife, in colors of
THEIR choice.
2) more than likely it will have been made in China or another country,
where a handmade quilt will be made locally.

Haven't talked to him or his wife since.

tessagin 05-06-2016 11:15 AM

I need a couple quilts for my dogs. Here's the pattern I like but different colors. They're outside dogs. No, I don't do custom and am not doing a DWR for a dog or 2.

glassnquilts 05-06-2016 11:24 AM

I made a lap quilt for my son in law. Extra long. He keeps it at work because it gets cold and he wraps it around his shoulders. He said one of his coworkers asked if I could make them one for $50. He just laughed and told them they couldn't afford one.

Jane Quilter 05-06-2016 11:30 AM

its a sad world.....which is why we quilt......to make us happy.....and we are!

lynnie 05-06-2016 12:04 PM

what really amazes me is that people think a 'craft' by a woman is of less value than a repair on their car and a repair shop per hour is so much more worth it than a quick quilt by one of us. Painting a room is worth the charge but a quilt isn't. What's wrong with people. or you get the," I know you love to quilt, so i knew you'd want to make me on"
Yes, I have loads of money and time to make something for you to drag around the house!!!

Sewnoma 05-06-2016 12:10 PM

Oh, I have a recent one! Someone at work (who I barely know) approached me about making a quilt for a raffle, to benefit charity. I was thinking OK sure I can put together a quick baby quilt or something for a good cause, but when I said that she said, "Oh, no, it has to be a queen size, at LEAST." I asked how much she was selling tickets for and how much she expected to raise, she was selling the tickets for $1 each and hoped to raise $100-$200. I explained that a queen size quilt would likely cost me at least $300 in materials to make, not to mention all my time. She literally stuck her nose in the air (who DOES that??) and said, "Well, I'm sure you're just shopping in all the wrong places. I will find someone else who knows how to make one much cheaper." I laughed and told her "OK sounds great - good luck with that." which she didn't like much at all, I think she expected me to make it anyway. When it came time for the raffle I checked it out...no quilts but there WERE a pair of handmade potholders in the grouping, LOL. Guess she didn't have a lot of luck!

cjsews 05-06-2016 12:22 PM

How about those that think you know where all fabrics are to be found. A coworker asked where she could get a panel like the one she used for one DD so she could make another quilt the same. I never saw the first quilt so how did I know where to find such panel.

Daylesewblessed 05-06-2016 12:32 PM

I am enjoying this "magic wand" thread. We have had this link posted before, but this seems to me to be a good place to repeat it:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XzoL7ddTEnA