Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   Just shoot me the next time I select black as a background color.... (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/just-shoot-me-next-time-i-select-black-background-color-t290153.html)

Dina 08-03-2017 10:16 AM

Just shoot me the next time I select black as a background color....

1 Attachment(s)
I have always admired black as a background color, but I have avoided using it because I know it is hard for me to work with. Nevertheless, I decided black was what I needed for the background on these cat blocks I am making. I should have known better. I am using gray thread, which helps. I am using lots of light, which helps, but I still have a lot of trouble lining up a black piece with another black piece. I just can't see if the edges are even or not. Just can't.

Any hints out there that anyone can send my way on how to piece two blacks together and keep my sanity? (I have already lost my patience, but I am trying to hold on to the sanity stuff. :) )

There will be black sashing between the blocks....more black on black!!

Here is a picture of the 15 cats I have made so far. The pattern calls for 56, but I have decided if I get 36 done, that will be plenty. I will just add a border (or two) to get to the size I want.

Dina

Boston1954 08-03-2017 10:21 AM

I do not work with black very often, but when I do, I will turn on every light I've got in my sewing room. Two of them hover right above the machine. I have to say that they are looking terrific so far. Just take your time. Don't try to do a bunch in one day.

feline fanatic 08-03-2017 10:23 AM

No hints or tricks but I can tell it will look fabulous when finished. So I hope that will make all your current frustration worth it.

I have made these blocks as well and I do sympathize those intertwined tail units. I recall they were a bugger and it seemed I ripped more then sewed the first couple.

MarionsQuilts 08-03-2017 10:33 AM

I work with black a lot. One of the things I have done is used a permanent fluorescent marker and drawn a line where my seams will be on both pieces of fabric. Then, you can line up the lines at the edge of the fabric. An extra step, but it's on the inside, and no one will see the marker once you have sewn it all together and quilted it.

QuiltnNan 08-03-2017 10:35 AM

it's looking great. not working too long at a time should help

Jane Quilter 08-03-2017 10:39 AM

bang..........................

per your request.....did that help?

Jane Quilter 08-03-2017 10:40 AM

love your kitties..............

Helen6869 08-03-2017 10:48 AM

I did a kit from Craftsy with black sashing and blocks. It drove me nuts although I loved the pattern and class. My husband saw me stuggling with lighting one day and suggested a headlamp which he uses for close work on projects. Oh, love him for it. He ordered me one from Amazon and it made all the difference. Puts a little spotlight on the place where you really need it. You may want to try this. Love your kitties!! so cute!

Sandra in Minnesota 08-03-2017 11:04 AM

Love those kitties. I try to stay away from any black fabric, unless it's an inside border.

bearisgray 08-03-2017 11:10 AM

I have the book that the cats are in.

They are looking good.