Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   just a thought (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/just-thought-t97091.html)

Short an Sweet 02-05-2011 05:59 PM

have you ever had fabric cut and then realized that you told them wrong, and if so, do you give it back and have them recut or keep it.
I was thinking I needed 4 feet of two fabrics and I ended up telling them 4 YARDS each DUH!!!!!

Cyn 02-05-2011 06:01 PM

What did you do?

shawnemily 02-05-2011 06:01 PM

:) Well that's one way to add to your stash!!

sandraa 02-05-2011 06:02 PM

Yes, I have done that a few times. If its not too expensive, I just go ahead and buy it, but I almost always buy sale fabric, so usually not much $$$.

ktbb 02-05-2011 06:03 PM

I ask nicely if they would consider keeping what I don't need, but if they hesitate or say that they can't, I keep it. The worst that can happen is that they say no...and the best that they say they can keep it. The bigger the piece the better chance you have that they'll keep it.

Anne P 02-05-2011 06:08 PM

There are so many "ifs" in this situation:
if I really like the fabric
if I think I could use it for other projects
if it's not too expansive
then I would probably keep it.

On the other hand, if it's project specific, expensive, and if the staff is accommadating, I would probably ask if they would cut off the 2 feet I need and keep the rest. I believe the people at my favorite LQS would because they could always us the left over for FQs, charms, etc. I'm not so sure about someplace like JoAnn's or other chain stores.

Short an Sweet 02-05-2011 06:10 PM

well it was on sale, instead of 25 it was 10, and yes I did keep it, they were so swamped with like 20 people waiting, so I couldnt just ask them to recut. it was fabric to make a baby blanket lol so now i have enough even if it's triplets

mommamac 02-05-2011 06:11 PM

I did that when buying tulle for DD wedding. I wasn't thinking
that it would be cut in half so got double amount needed. It was on sale so I kept it figuring someone else I know may want it someday! Need any? LOL

amma 02-05-2011 09:47 PM

I haven't had them cut too much, it was not enough :oops:
They very graciously recut my pieces to the lengths I needed :D:D:D

starshine 09-30-2011 09:52 AM

Originally Posted by Short an Sweet
well it was on sale, instead of 25 it was 10, and yes I did keep it, they were so swamped with like 20 people waiting, so I couldnt just ask them to recut. it was fabric to make a baby blanket lol so now i have enough even if it's triplets

If I really liked the fabric and could afford it I'd keep it, but if I couldn't afford to I would ask if they could correct my mistake. Often when something like this happens I chalk it up to serendipity and wait to see if sometime later I find the mistake turned out to be a blessing. Well maybe you'll see triplets, or maybe some unexpected babies will be coming your way.;-)