Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   It just took 3 tries to get the quarter inch seam.....!!! (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/just-took-3-tries-get-quarter-inch-seam-t289319.html)

Dina 06-29-2017 04:19 PM

It just took 3 tries to get the quarter inch seam.....!!!

Sometimes I "reverse bribe" myself....meaning I tell myself that I can't quilt until I have done x number of chores.

So, today after I cleaned house and mowed, I sat down to start my next charity quilt. I cleaned my machine and wound two bobbins. Then I started sewing....but wait....that wasn't a 1/4 inch seam, that was too big.

So, I rechecked what I had done, and rather than going one notch to the left with my needle, I had gone one notch to the right. Okay, so after ripping out the seam I had just made sewing two WOF 2 1/2 inch strips together, I sewed again. But wait...it still wasn't a 1/4 inch seam. So I rechecked what I had done, and I had put my quarter inch foot on backwards!!! I didn't even know that was possible. I was half afraid I had ruined the foot....it is one without the guard. But the foot was okay, and this time I had just sewn four inches.

So, I ripped again, and the third time and all was well. It was 1/4 inch just like it should have been.

Good grief! Ya think maybe I need to pay more attention to what I am doing? Maybe this "reverse bribe" isn't such a good thing for me. Maybe I used all of my thinking energy on the chores!! I can fix that. Next time I will "reverse reverse bribe". I will quilt first and either forget the chores or just plan on doing them after I quilt!

Surely no one else has done anything like reverse a quarter inch foot???

Dina

JustAbitCrazy 06-29-2017 04:22 PM

Wow. Even I have never done that. Just when I thought I've made every possible mistake! You're gooder than me!

GEMRM 06-29-2017 05:05 PM

I haven't reversed my quarter inch foot, but twice I put the zipper foot on backwards and didn't realize until the needle hit the foot and broke....

Boston1954 06-29-2017 05:23 PM

Gee, that sounds like me. I recently sewed a block wrong twice. I leave the chores to Jim. He loves to clean, so I let him have it.

Jingle 06-29-2017 06:08 PM

I haven't done that but, believe me, I have done many, many other things. Some days I act like I just started sewing. If I mess up too much I just quit at least for a while.

Dina 06-29-2017 07:15 PM

Originally Posted by GEMRM (Post 7854241)
I haven't reversed my quarter inch foot, but twice I put the zipper foot on backwards and didn't realize until the needle hit the foot and broke....

I feel better, actually, hearing this. Not that your needle broke or anything, but that it is possible to put other feet on backwards too.

No other obstacles have interfered with my quilting since I started this thread, so maybe I am back on track now. :)

Dina

Cari-in-Oly 06-29-2017 07:20 PM

I'veen known to do the Goldilocks thing, you know, first the seam is too big, then it's too small, then the third try is just right.

Cari

Teddybear Lady 06-29-2017 08:17 PM

I like your new reverse plan...quilt first! haha I've ripped out a zipper three times now out of a project. I've put in a zipper before in a project just like this one. I think I'm just overtired. Spent last week babysitting our new grandson and this past weekend stayed in hospital with my mom for two nights with no sleep. I'm wanting to get back in my sewing room but there are clothes to wash and dishes too. I'll be caught up tomorrow but I have to sit with my mother at her house while my dad and my husband go mow our nieces yard. Maybe after all that I can get my zipper in right! haha :D

sandy l 06-30-2017 03:27 AM

I haven't reversed a foot yet, but I have forgotten to re-thread the needle after changing it and didn't notice it until I had sewed 14 pairs of squares together.:)

Battle Axe 06-30-2017 03:44 AM

Interesting how you bribe yourself and then get the work done first and then get quilting for your reward.

I'm getting a colonoscopy today. I prepped yesterday, my most difficult ever, I think I'm ready and waiting for my driver. So I rewarded myself for getting through all that with a lovely fat bundle from Missouri Southern and 8 spools of thread and a bonus of free shipping.

I didn't know anyone else did that!!

Marcia