Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   Kaye England Class (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/kaye-england-class-t209219.html)

EllieGirl 12-25-2012 08:56 AM

Kaye England Class

I signed up to take a Craftsy class with Kaye England on a Civil War quilt. For the course materials there is a choice of buying FQ specifically chosen for the quilt at the price of $160. Otherwise we can pick our own fabrics with the possibility of not having the correct type of fabric. I don't really want to spend $160 for FQ but I'm just concerned I won't get the right fabric.

Has anyone ever taken a course like this and what did you do?

DOTTYMO 12-25-2012 09:11 AM

From experience you will still spend the same or very nearly. Price it up on the Internet and see.

KarenR 12-25-2012 09:11 AM

I've never even heard of Craftsy - but I 'll be watching this thread.

patchsamkim 12-25-2012 09:44 AM

I took a peek at the class and supply info...the $160.00 is for 40 fat quarters...that is $4.00 per fat quarter..I know I wouldn't pay that price, and would just try to get a variety of fat quarters light, medium and dark to use in the quilt....you can go to a quilt shop in your area that has reproduction fabrics and pick out what YOU like...your quilt will be uniquely yours then!

Kaye England is an excellent teacher, so I am sure you will enjoy your class and learn a lot.

JulieR 12-25-2012 09:48 AM

I just signed up for that one, too, and I didn't buy the FQ bundle. I have a good sized stash so I'll use what I can from that and supplement if I really need it.

What's the worst thing that can happen? You'll have to take the class again (which you can do as many times as you want without paying for it again), with their bundle. Hardly painful at all :)

KarenR 12-25-2012 10:06 AM

That comes out to 4.00 a piece because you get 40 fat quarters for 160.00.

JulieR 12-25-2012 10:50 AM

EllieGirl, I just dove into these and in Lesson 2 Kaye talks about the fabrics you need, and it doesn't even sound like she's advocating using the kit. Give that a listen and then decide :)

On to Lesson 3 for me! LOL

dunster 12-25-2012 11:40 AM

OMG, there is NO WAY I would pay $4 per FQ of ANYTHING! Don't be afraid of getting the "wrong" fabric. Civil war quilts were made from whatever was available, and there often wasn't much to choose from. Look for reproduction fabrics online if you want an authentic look, or make the quilt from whatever fabrics you like. It could even be 30's fabrics, brights, whatever...

sweetana3 12-25-2012 03:05 PM

I have taken many of her classes and Kaye stresses use of scrappy fabric. You would be surprised at the variety of "civil war" type fabric. I would not buy the kit at those prices.

AliKat 12-25-2012 04:28 PM

I take a class to learn a technique, so I don't mind too much which material I use. It is a learning experience. Generally I prefer to make smaller projects for this. If I really love the pattern and technique there is time afterwards to do more.