Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   keeping quilts (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/keeping-quilts-t66002.html)

lakelily 09-22-2010 05:30 AM

I once made a baby quilt for a gift and decided to put it in the fair, it won a blue ribbon, so I was NOT going to give it away. Made another one for the gift. Keep this one and make another.

anima57 09-22-2010 06:26 AM

I saw keep it if you really love it. too often I make things and give them away, as do most of the others here. now at 59, I have had a couple of years of intense making, mostly knit and crochet, for those close to me (had this weird feeling that I wanted them to have something to remember me by!) but now I want to do a couple of things that I have wanted to do for years, always waiting until my skills were good enough or I had more time to do it right, etc., am sure most of you are familiar with this feeling! not going to wait for skill buildup, not going to wait for more time, and NOT going to give it away....good luck!

Parrothead 09-22-2010 07:42 AM

Just the fact that the thought entered your mind to keep it means it is calling to you. I did the same when we were dividing my grandmother's quilts. There was a scrap ocean wave that I remember almost every fabric being someone's garment. I kept it.

cowgirl 09-22-2010 07:46 AM

I was making a baby quilt for my niece, hoping for a girl, I made it in pinks and lavendars. It is so pretty in pastel flowers. Found out she having a BOY. Yea, now I can keep the quilt. We do grow attached after so much hard work.

Quilting Nana 09-22-2010 07:58 AM

My quilts speak to me. They tell me who they should go to. This quilt is speaking to you. Keep it and make another for your gift.

Rosyhf 09-22-2010 09:10 AM

I have a question. Why does one feel quilty?

Melinda in Tulsa 09-22-2010 09:24 AM

Originally Posted by Rosyhf
I have a question. Why does one feel quilty?

I wonder that too! I think we should make stuff for us FIRST, then gift as the need arises. After I get the tops quilted for my DGK's, I'm planning on making some baby quilts with no one in mind. That way, when someone needs one, I just pull from inventory. That way I get the enjoyment of making a quilt and choosing to give away or keep. I like to make mine 45 x 60, which also makes a nice lapquilt. Dual purpose :thumbup:

Janebird 09-22-2010 09:29 AM

My DDIL and I have very similar tastes and I've bought her presents that I've kept! I've even told her and we've shared some good laughs.

Lucky Lindy 09-22-2010 01:14 PM

It's not a gift until you give it away, and if it never leaves your possession how can you possibly feel bad? Make another quilt for that other person and keep what you love!

JudyMN 09-22-2010 02:28 PM

I had to smile. Just this week i finished a Christmas lap quilt for an upcoming wedding. It was beautiful - so nice I decided to keep it. They will never know their quilt is the second choice. I haven't started it yet, or even purchased the fabric, but it will be just as nice with different fabrics.