Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   Keeping strips together. (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/keeping-strips-together-t171829.html)

deemail 12-13-2011 09:54 AM

well, as usual, i bought it for one thing, used it for a few years on my computer and then decided one day to put under my serger as it vibrates all over during marathon serging sessions... it was so good that i bought more and now am thinking about buying 2 more so i can double up under the serger and machine... they really quiet the machines that that's enough reason to have them, but he button/grocery bag thing was an afterthought one messy serging day (serging towels equals a TON of lint!).... and then of course a few months later the quilting strips kept getting messed up in my chair wheels .... otherwise all known as an 'Evolution of a Sewing Tip!'

lizzyq 12-13-2011 12:11 PM

Great ideas. I'll grab that beach towel we won't be using for a while and put my current strips there.

wildyard 12-14-2011 09:41 AM

Awesome hint about the mouse pad idea! One I'm definitely going to use. Thank you for sharing hugssss and smiles.

SueSew 12-14-2011 11:07 AM

Originally Posted by ghostrider (Post 4776295)
I use an old wooden drying rack. Folds up out of the way for storage.

I like that idea a lot!
I have an odd metal rack which was supposed to hold a set of drawers or shelves, and it is 30 inches high. I use it to line up strips, store them whiles I'm cutting, and drape both quilt and strips over it.
I also use the cardboard spools from gift-wrap ribbons - great for bindings too!

Kas 12-14-2011 02:15 PM

1 Attachment(s)

Originally Posted by SueSew (Post 4781129)
I like that idea a lot!
I have an odd metal rack which was supposed to hold a set of drawers or shelves, and it is 30 inches high. I use it to line up strips, store them whiles I'm cutting, and drape both quilt and strips over it.
I also use the cardboard spools from gift-wrap ribbons - great for bindings too!

Bad Kitty likes this idea, too!

quilter1942 12-14-2011 02:32 PM

When I am working on a log cabin or something that uses dark and light strips,I use a music stand like bands use for sheet music. I can put dark on 1 side and light on the other side.I bought 2 at a yard sale for $1.00.

nhweaver 12-14-2011 03:57 PM

I use an old wooden drying rack too, they can be found in thrift stores for a few $$$.

Originally Posted by ghostrider (Post 4776295)
I use an old wooden drying rack. Folds up out of the way for storage.

nhweaver 12-14-2011 04:02 PM

I vaccuum the ends of a jelly rolls and honey buns to take care of all the fuzz from the tiny pinking. I use a dust buster, works well and keeps lint out of my sewing machine. A friend of mine sprays spray starch on both sides of the rolls after vacuuming and swears by it. I will try that on my next jelly roll project.

Originally Posted by EasyPeezy (Post 4778195)
I usually cut my jelly roll strips in half to make it easier to work with. After starching and
cutting I put them in a big Rubbermaid type tote. Keeps everything neat and tidy and I
can see which project is in which tote.