Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   Keeping track of projects (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/keeping-track-projects-t23863.html)

SharonC 08-07-2009 02:46 PM

I keep mine in the very large ziplock bags, but I like the pizza box idea :). Seems like they would be more "stackable" than throw in bottom of the closet :).

pittsburgpam 08-07-2009 04:39 PM

I have a cubbyhole wall unit from Ikea and in the top few cubbies I put all the fabric for a project together. The other cubbies have fabrics by collection, by FQs, backings, etc.

sewjoyce 08-07-2009 04:52 PM

My projects usually go into a plastic "project" boxes that I get from WalMart or the dollar store. I get the clear ones and have different sizes.

dojo36 08-07-2009 07:04 PM

well i'm ashamed to say what my 'stuff' looks like. i don't have a "room" to quilt in. i use my dining room table and fabric is stacked here and there - kinda helter skelter. i am not an organized person - wish i was and i've tried but just can't be. guess i am just a slob, but if i look long enough i'll find things in the strangest places - then i'll think well good grief why did i put that there? hummm, am i the only person dis-organized?
donna

wvdek 08-07-2009 07:27 PM

When I find a pattern I know I will do or fabric I just have to have :roll: , I put the pattern and/or the fabric in the Hefty One Zip Jumbo 2.5 gallon bags 12 count box. These are the greatest bags and hold quite a bit. I can reuse these after I am finished for the next projector put teh finished piece in until quilted or ???. Beware, not all stores carry them. Our Walmart does not so I get them at Krogers. I then store these in my plastic bins and pull out when ready. I like the pizza box idea, but my DD's cats have been known to mess on items... so the pizza box would not work here.

ScubaK 08-07-2009 07:53 PM

Depending on where I am in a project...
I use the bags that sheets, comforters, etc...come in. Or I use small ziplocs and then put into a larger one with pattern, etc.
If it is almost top done, then I hang the blocks on a pant/skirt hanger...as I go along, I add the border strips...finally all that is left is the completed quilt top that hangs until I get in sandwiched...
Then it goes on a shelf (the WIP shelf) which I am trying to clear by the end of Sept.
Kirsten

Mousie 08-07-2009 07:57 PM

We buy sodas for DH in these boxes that are about 12" x 16" x 2".
I take two of them and cut one long side off, each, and slide them together and duct tape. I end up with about 16" x 20" x2".
Then I put a lot of tape on, to make it strong.
I have about 8 of them right now, and I put one project in each, and stack them, kind of turning them a bit, so the corners are offset. I love the organisation of them, and looking at all the fabrics, when I move them. :D

sewjoyce 08-08-2009 05:25 AM

Originally Posted by quiltncrazy
We buy sodas for DH in these boxes that are about 12" x 16" x 2".
I take two of them and cut one long side off, each, and slide them together and duct tape. I end up with about 16" x 20" x2".
Then I put a lot of tape on, to make it strong.
I have about 8 of them right now, and I put one project in each, and stack them, kind of turning them a bit, so the corners are offset. I love the organisation of them, and looking at all the fabrics, when I move them. :D

Would you post a picture of this? (Please?)

Esqmommy 08-08-2009 05:33 AM

What's a reasonable price for the pizza box?

katier825 08-08-2009 05:42 AM

I don't have much space, so I'm limited how I can store things. When I cut up pieces for a quilt, they go in a large ziploc bag with the pattern. I store them in one of the under the bed zippered storage bag. If necessary, I put the backing/binding/exra fabric in a separate bag. If I swap projects, I just move what I'm not working on to the under the bed collection. I don't usually have a problem picking up where I left off because I usually finish a set of blocks before storing it.

Once I assemble the quilt top, I try to make room to hang it in the closet. It seems to get completed faster when I can see it daily. Other fabric not designated for a particular project is in various bins in the closet.