Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   Keepsake Fabric Quality (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/keepsake-fabric-quality-t33801.html)

weezie 01-10-2010 08:52 PM

Reputable professional quilters brag in magazine ads about the excellent quality of Keepsake Quilting Fabric. I love Keepsake catalogs and am happy when one arrives in my mailbox. However, I'm very disappointed in the quality of Keepsake fabrics at my local Joann's store, so I try to avoid them. Do you think there is a quality range - from crappy to excellent - of Keepsake fabrics ... where some stores get the poorer quality on their shelves? Their catalog shows an extensive selection of lovely fabrics but I would be afraid to order from them.

OdessaQuilts 01-10-2010 08:58 PM

I think it may be an opportunity to order a few F4's or so and see what the quality is like. I've had people ask me about the quality of the fabric I have purchased online from Fabric.com, too, and I always tell them that I'm incredibly happy with it. It's just a matter of trust. Give it a try - you may be incredibly happy.

Jim's Gem 01-10-2010 09:10 PM

Totally different fabric!!! Keepsake quilting is a quilt shop. They do not make their own fabrics, they sell the top quilting brands such as Hoffman, Kaufman, Moda, etc.
Keepsake quilting fabrics you see at JoAnns is not, I repeat, NOT near the quality of what you find at the Shop. It is not the same thing. Consider Keepsake quilting catalog like your local Quilt Shop, not fabric store.

Honey 01-10-2010 09:35 PM

I have ordered for Keepsake quiltimg many times and have never been disapointed with their fabric. They do have fabric that is on par with my lqs. But did you know that manufacturers make different grades of the same fabric for different places? Top of the line usually goes to quil stores and some of the online places, medium goes to places like Joann's and Hancocks and lower grade goes to places like Walmart. I didn't realize this until I read it a few months ago. So, even fabric with the same name is not created equal.

jljack 01-10-2010 10:42 PM

My rule is.....the hand test tells all...if it feels good, it probably is. If it feels like sandpaper, it probably isn't!!! Easy!!!

charismah 01-10-2010 11:10 PM

Originally Posted by Honey
I have ordered for Keepsake quiltimg many times and have never been disapointed with their fabric. They do have fabric that is on par with my lqs. But did you know that manufacturers make different grades of the same fabric for different places? Top of the line usually goes to quil stores and some of the online places, medium goes to places like Joann's and Hancocks and lower grade goes to places like Walmart. I didn't realize this until I read it a few months ago. So, even fabric with the same name is not created equal.

THANK YOU For saying that---I tried to explain this on a different thread and well.....we will just leave it at that.....but YES! ONly good quality fabric is sold at our LQS.

eparys 01-11-2010 03:53 AM

Originally Posted by weezie
Reputable professional quilters brag in magazine ads about the excellent quality of Keepsake Quilting Fabric. I love Keepsake catalogs and am happy when one arrives in my mailbox. However, I'm very disappointed in the quality of Keepsake fabrics at my local Joann's store, so I try to avoid them. Do you think there is a quality range - from crappy to excellent - of Keepsake fabrics ... where some stores get the poorer quality on their shelves? Their catalog shows an extensive selection of lovely fabrics but I would be afraid to order from them.

weezie

I am a lucky one - Keepsake Quilting is only 1.5 hr from where I live. Their fabric is of exquisite quality. I would also like to note here that JoAnns advertises "keepsake calico" as opposed to Keepsake with a capital letter. I have never seen "keepsake calico" at Keepsake Quilting.

Do not hesitate to order from them - They are a wonderful shop with a great staff. They also have a "to die for" sale in June - they cover the parking lot with a tent. There are so many customers that you line up to get into the tent.

beachlady 01-11-2010 04:21 AM

I was going to say the same thing - Keepsake is a quilt shop that sells only quality fabric.

ckcowl 01-11-2010 04:50 AM

seems like around here anyway, when joannes built their new store and forced our walmart to give up their fabric department, they took over their supplier too...and they took the walmart $1 a yard crap, marked it up to $9 a yard and call it quilt fabric...i am so very disinheartened with our joannes. only shop their with 50% coupons, for supplies and notions...never buy their fabric, it's crap

BellaBoo 01-11-2010 05:06 AM

I bought the fat quarter bundle from Keepsakes, 100 fat quarters for $99. Every fat quarter was different and top quality quilt shop fabric. I always check the catalog for bundle type sales. I don't buy JoAnn's or Hobby Lobby fabrics anymore. I don't even look at them when I'm in the store. Online quilt shop sales are much cheaper and much better fabric.