Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   Kenmore Sewing Machine 19000 have a question. (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/kenmore-sewing-machine-19000-have-question-t65766.html)

rufus2 09-20-2010 07:24 AM

If anyone owns the above sewing machine can you tell me if the handwheel on the right side of the machine is free wheeling. Mine is and I wonder if something is wrong with my machine. My book says nothing about the wheel, just that it is called the handwheel. I would sure appreciate anything you can tell me about this wheel. Thanks

LindaR 09-20-2010 08:01 AM

Originally Posted by rufus2
If anyone owns the above sewing machine can you tell me if the handwheel on the right side of the machine is free wheeling. Mine is and I wonder if something is wrong with my machine. My book says nothing about the wheel, just that it is called the handwheel. I would sure appreciate anything you can tell me about this wheel. Thanks

it sounds like to me that the wheel has been loosened to do a bobbin...is there a circle in the center of the wheel? see if you can tightened it. You have to loosen it to wind a bobbin, maybe thats it???? check your book for winding a bobbin, to better understand what I'm talking about???

Sadiemae 09-20-2010 09:19 AM

Originally Posted by LindaR

Originally Posted by rufus2

it sounds like to me that the wheel has been loosened to do a bobbin...is there a circle in the center of the wheel? see if you can tightened it. You have to loosen it to wind a bobbin, maybe thats it???? check your book for winding a bobbin, to better understand what I'm talking about???

If this isn't it, does Kenmore have a site where you can ask questions. I know Brother does, and I jsut wondered...

rufus2 09-20-2010 10:53 AM

Hi Linda & Sadiemae:

I sent you a personal email about this. I should have put it on the Board. I haven't been on line for quite some time due to family visits and sickness.

I thought it might be easier to ask here than to ask Sears about it. I just got it back from Sears and they said it was the needle that was bad. My complaint was that the wheel was free wheeling. You figure???

Thank you for your reply.

Moonpi 09-20-2010 03:24 PM

I'm thinking the clutch is disengaged ... did you reset everything fully after winding a bobbin?

rufus2 09-20-2010 08:24 PM

Hi Moonpi
It doesn't require using the handwheel when you wind a bobbin. You just move the bobbin into the piece that measures how much thread to put on the bobbin. That's why it is such a mystery to me as to what the handwheel is supposed to do. Thanks for your reply. Where do you live in Central Fl.? I'm close to Leesburg.

purplefiend 09-20-2010 08:28 PM

I can't recall if you need to pull the hand wheel out to wind a bobbin or not. Try pushing it in and see if it helps. I used have the Kenmore Elite machine, it looked a lot like yours.
The motherboard went out on mine and only straight stitch and zig zag worked. I gave it to a new sewist who just wanted a those 2 stitches.

rufus2 09-20-2010 09:33 PM

Hi Purplefiend
It doesn't move in and out it just goes round and round like I do. hehehehe Thanks for your reply.

LindaR 09-21-2010 04:34 AM

I keep thinking it has something to do with the bobbin too but something inside that drove the wheel may have slipper a cog LOL, take it to Sears repair...they can help

rufus2 09-21-2010 02:43 PM

Thanks Linda I have already done that but didn't get an answer back. I'll have to try with them again in a couple of weeks. I've got a sick husband to care for now.

Thanks again.