Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   which kind of mat do you prefer (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/kind-mat-do-you-prefer-t86265.html)

knlsmith 12-31-2010 08:13 AM

Olfa all the way! :). I always use my 40% coupon if they aren't on sale.

AliKat 12-31-2010 08:25 AM

I have Olfa and Fiskars and ???

The one I absolutely love is the Martelli that I bought at our Quilt, Sew, & Craft Show put on by Rusty Barn the end of January every year here in Phoenix. Mine is about 10 years old now and still going strong. The newer style is even better but the cost is kinda high for me right now. Martelli also makes the ergonomic rotary cutter which many of my friends love but it hard for me to use because I can't use my fingers well due to arthritis.

ali

Lisa_wanna_b_quilter 12-31-2010 08:31 AM

I like my Fiskars better than my Donna Dewberry. The lines on Donna's are harder for me to see. Maybe that's where the color issue comes in. More contrast between the lines and the mat seems to be important to me.

fireworkslover 12-31-2010 08:43 AM

I have 2 Olfa's and a Duraheal. The Olfa's have faired much better than the Duraheal. I've had mine for over 7 yrs. and they look brand new. The green color doesn't bother me.

Bobbin along 12-31-2010 08:43 AM

I bought one of those gigantic shiney white ones at a quilt festival --it is same size as the top of my 'banquet table' cutting table. it's ok, but it dulls my blades much faster--and i've heard the same complaint from others (after I bought mine, of course.) They have a surface sort of like PVC--and they do get cuts in them. So I do keep it on the table for quick measurement of large pieces, and it looks clean, but then place my good old smaller greenies (olfas, i think) on top of it for doing actual cutting. My conclusion: don't spend your money on those big shiney white ones! :XD:

Izaquilter 12-31-2010 09:34 AM

I don't like those hard plastic white ones. You see women walking out in groves with them at quilt shows & I don't feel that I get a good cut with them. (Maybe it's just me but....) I've used Fiskars for many moons but have also found color is important too. If you use the measuring lines on them (which I don't) the color is so, so important. I have thought about buying a pink colored mat ( :o) it would match my room decor!) but haven't ventured off in that direction yet! Good luck on choosing on

Alice Woodhull 12-31-2010 10:54 AM

I have been advised by the teachers in classes I have taken not to use the lines on the mats to cut by. They are not accurate. They have always said to use the lines on the rulers instead as they are accurate, and use only one brand of ruler on a project, as the lines vary with different brands of rulers.

sdeaaz 12-31-2010 01:08 PM

I found an Alvin mat on Amazon, 24x 36 for only $24... that is a great price..... cheaper than the Olfa.... just checking again to make sure everyone that has them love them... Thanks... Quilter 1234

Doreen 12-31-2010 01:13 PM

I love my mat byMartelli. It is double sided. When you go to large quilt shows they are usually there and you can get a fairly good price. They are a bit pricey but well worth it.

barnbum 12-31-2010 01:16 PM

Originally Posted by quilter 1234
I found an Alvin mat on Amazon, 24x 36 for only $24... that is a great price..... cheaper than the Olfa.... just checking again to make sure everyone that has them love them... Thanks... Quilter 1234

I looked them up too--did you notice the 30x42 one was more than the 36 by 48 one??? Weird. I put it on a wish list. Mine isn't worn out enough to warrant buying a new one yet. I do need a new quilting calendar though. I'll have to start asking for one for Christmas! My daughter or new d-i-l would have fun picking one out every year.