Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   Kind of a strange quilting question-HELP! (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/kind-strange-quilting-question-help-t271121.html)

Bullock2us 10-15-2015 03:50 PM

Kind of a strange quilting question-HELP!

My Mom was asked this question the other day. Her neighbor wants to make 2 twin size quilts and zip them together in the middle without the zipper (it is a sleeping bag type zipper) showing so that she can unzip them to wash them because she cannot fit a large quilt in her washing machine. I suggested making a large one and taking it to the laundromat to wash on their big washes but I guess that is a no go. Anyone have any ideas how you would do this? Thanks

Tom W 10-15-2015 04:03 PM

I would attach one side of the zipper tape an inch or so from the edge on the backing if a zipper was what I wanted, but I'd really just use hook and loop tape in a matching or coordinating color

toverly 10-15-2015 04:24 PM

I think Velcro is the solution. You can purchase it in a long roll and sew it on.

Tartan 10-15-2015 05:10 PM

You fold probably use a duvet zipper. If she doesn't want a zipper then Velcro but that would not be my choice. Velcro in long strips would have to connect up perfectly so the scratchy side wouldn't catch on everything.

mamagrande 10-15-2015 05:27 PM

I wash my big quilts in the bathtub.. Of course I do it once a year, in the spring. Mine don't get too dirty but I soak them in some non-bleach soap over night , rinse them, place in a plastic laundry basket with holes and it drains out, then lay them on patio chairs to dry, back side out.

These are my handquilted quilts that I treasure.
Never thought of a zippered quilt...interesting.

RST 10-15-2015 05:59 PM

The hook side of velcro would catch on stuff and be a pain. You can find zippers by the yard which are not expensive and would work out well.

lynnie 10-15-2015 06:04 PM

what if you used a very thin batt, it would fit in a washer at hoe then. something that is thin would work.

quiltingcandy 10-15-2015 06:17 PM

I am just brain storming here - what if you make it like an envelope pillow style? Thinking that she is going to make it like a duvet cover, so the batting can be removed like you would a pillow. It would take a lot more fabric for the back but you wouldn't have to deal with fasteners or zippers.

We were in Berlin this summer, we stayed in a few places and each one we had what looked like a king size bed, but they were 2 twin beds in a king size frame and the quilts were 2 twin quilts that went together, so we each had our own. (I know I am not explaining it very well.) I really liked it and will consider doing the same thing here. My husband has wanted a king size bed for years but I cannot deal with the weight of the blankets.

Lilrain 10-15-2015 08:57 PM

Interesting idea. I will follow this thread

Jeanne S 10-16-2015 03:33 AM

My first thought is like Quiltingcandy---make two twin size quilts that slip inside a king size duvet cover that has a seam sewn down the middle, the entire length of the cover, so each twin has its own "pocket" to slip into and hold it in place. This wouldn't look like a quilt on top as it would be smooth however. And it might be heavy with 4 layers of fabric when assembled so would use a lightweight batting. Most comforters made to go inside duvet covers are filled with down and are fluffy and light.
Seems like a long, separating zipper would work too. I am thinking I would attach it by using a long tab or double folded strip of the fabric used to make the back sewn into the back of the quilt binding down the side like a narrow hanging sleeve and attach the zipper tape to this "tab". The tab strip would be only an inch wide or slightly less so that when zipped up the outer binding edges of the two quilts would touch or slightly overlap.
Let us know if you give it a try and how it works out!!