Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   Kits or not to kits? (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/kits-not-kits-t97048.html)

Woolie 02-06-2011 07:00 AM

Originally Posted by Monstookie
How does everyone feel about buying quilt kits? Good or bad? If good....are there favorite shops/sites you like. I think I've always been nervous about the quality of fabric...etc. But I have seen some pretty ones listed on the web.

I always have kits around here...it is nice to occassionally have everything laid out for you. Sometimes I want an entire line but don't want to buy yardage that get separated.

steelecg 02-06-2011 07:16 AM

I like kits - sometimes they have just the right combination of materials - I have sworn off of BOMs because sometimes they change fabrics plus they seem to be more expensive

jolo 02-06-2011 07:33 AM

I make my own from my stash.when I feel the need for a change from sewing or needleturn applique. I will maybe cut kits out for several days. The problem is as I get near the finish of a project I want to take out another kit and start on it . Have to make myself behave and finish this one first. lol

pieces 02-06-2011 07:43 AM

I have been quilting for 40 years and have never order a kit.
I want a quilt I made to be 'mine', not like hundreds of other quilts because it was made from a kit. This is probably a personal preference. I want to choose the fabrics for quality reasons as well as the colors and design. To me this is the most challenging aspect of quilt making. I also think it is cheaper than ordering a kit. Happy Quilting either way you decide to go.

Joset 02-06-2011 07:55 AM

I like quilts. i have done three of them already. the one i am working on now has really bright colors in it. it is called fatty 2x4

QultingaddictUK 02-06-2011 08:04 AM

When I first started quilting I lived in Scotland and not a friendly quilter in 100s of miles so I learned on-line, I found a fantastic forum and one of them members put my first couple of quilts in kit form for me, pre-cut, this was my first one:http://inlinethumb63.webshots.com/53...425x425Q85.jpg

I know I would never have become a quilter if is wasn't for that lovely lady and her pre-cut kits as I hadn't a clue about cutting :shock:

Now I get tempted by Kits but won't buy as most are not pre-cut and I can't see the point in buying one that is not :twisted:

Candy Apple Quilts 02-06-2011 08:06 AM

2 Attachment(s)

Originally Posted by sewingladydi
I haven't yet, but I've seen several cute things at Connecting Threads so I may soon try one of those.
I figure their prices are so reasonable, it worth trying without making a big investment.

I just finished one from Connecting Threads for a customer. She bought the kit called Hooterville. It has owls and trees, and was intended for hand-applique. Not having the time to do all of the hand-applique, we digitized the owl and tree into machine embroidery files, and she whipped it out in just a few evenings. (I'm working with the designer now to make those machine embroidery files available to the public...). Anyway, the hooping for the machine required extra fabric, and I was a little concerned about whether the kit would include enough. No need to have worried though, she made it with a bit to spare!

As soon as I can post pictures of the finished quilt on my blog, I'll let you all know (should be tomorrow), but for now I will see if I can attach one or two here.

Close-up of an owl
[ATTACH=CONFIG]81592[/ATTACH]

Close-up of the tree
[ATTACH=CONFIG]81859[/ATTACH]

cavmom 02-06-2011 08:24 AM

i bought a kit from Keepsake Quilts years ago. It was nice quality - no problems and actually had extra pieces, so that was good. The only downside - it was a Bear Paw and there were sooo many triangles i had to piece LOL! These days people have come up with so many shortcuts to do that kind of piecing it makes sewing triangles together less painful.

Iamquilter 02-06-2011 09:18 AM

I bought a kit from Connecting Threads and there was ample fabric. In fact I order two kits the same pattern and now I have enought fabric for a third quilt, which is free.

tntgranny 02-06-2011 10:28 AM

I often by kits, make the design using the provided fabric and then duplicate the kit with colors and designs that I have in my stash. One kit can result in many different quilts. Connecting Threads, Keepsake Quilting - just a few of my favorite sites. I also order from many on-line stores that kit the fabrics from known fabric designers. Have never been disappointed. On-line stores have been very willing to help with any problems - whether with the fabric or the directions. I say - go for it with kits.