Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   Knee lift lever, do you use it? If no, why not? (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/knee-lift-lever-do-you-use-if-no-why-not-t160122.html)

Quilter7x 10-13-2011 08:01 AM

The knee lift lever was a selling point when I bought my first machine about 13 years ago. I also have a Janome Jem Platinum that doesn’t have one. The replacement to Jem came out recently and I was surprised that it didn’t have a knee lift lever.

If you don’t use yours, why not? They are so helpful – they allow you to keep your hands on your project while you lift the presser foot to move your project.

QuiltE 10-13-2011 08:05 AM

I'm getting used to it on my new machine ... and am sure I will like it.

Though for now, I keep having flashbacks to when I learned to sew ...... no foot pedal, rather it was a knee lever!!! I don't know how many times I have tried using both the knee lever and foot pedal to start the machine stitching!! arggghhh!! :lol: :lol:

The Jem was designed as a small portable machine, so I can see why they wouldn't include the knee lever .... something else to take along, and would take away to the ease of mocing it around.

quiltingcandy 10-13-2011 08:06 AM

My Janome has it, but I just can't get used to it. The machine I learned to sew on and have used for the past 50 years has the knee pedal. So the knee lift is more of a bother to me than a help.

Quilter7x 10-13-2011 08:07 AM

Yes I know what you mean! The first machine I ever sewed on, you used your knee to make the machine go. Now you use your knee to life the presser foot! :lol:

I'm glad you're using it. I wish more people would even try it, they would probably like it.

QuiltE 10-13-2011 08:08 AM

Originally Posted by quiltingcandy
My Janome has it, but I just can't get used to it. The machine I learned to sew on and have used for the past 50 years has the knee pedal. So the knee lift is more of a bother to me than a help.

ha! Glad I am not the only one!! .... the irony of it is that I haven't had a knee pedal for 37 yrs. When I was married I went to buy a machine of my own, and discovered I HAD to have a portable (later found a cabinet for it!) and that I HAD to use a foot pedal. Didn't think I'd ever learn that one!

the casual quilter 10-13-2011 08:09 AM

For me, they are cumbersome to use. I just couldn't make friends with it. If anyone on the board needs one for a Janome, I'd be glad to send it for the cost of shipping it. Please send a PM if anyone wants it.

QuiltE 10-13-2011 08:10 AM

Originally Posted by the casual quilter
For me, they are cumbersome to use. I just couldn't make friends with it. If anyone on the board needs one for a Janome, I'd be glad to send it for the cost of shipping it. Please send a PM if anyone wants it.

If their machine has that built into it, would they not have received it along with the machine when they purchased it?

AliKat 10-13-2011 08:11 AM

I don't use mine as my upper leg will go numb and so I don't have as good a control or in comfort.

ali

Annaquilts 10-13-2011 08:12 AM

I love it! My Janome 6500 has it and an automatic thread cutter.

Scissor Queen 10-13-2011 08:15 AM

My problem is with my right hip joint. I would probably end up not being able to walk if I used the knee lift very much.