Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   Knee lift for pressure foot (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/knee-lift-pressure-foot-t309193.html)

Jingle 01-14-2020 05:09 PM

The two straight stitch only machines I use all the time have knee lift and I never use them. They just get in my way, so I don't like them.

Karamarie 01-15-2020 05:39 AM

My Janome 6600 has a knee lift which I really like, but when I bought it I didn't know there were bobbin sensors on some machines also. I do all my own FMQ and a sensor would really be useful. Don't know if I want to get a different machine at this time in my life. Really like what I have.

Onebyone 01-15-2020 05:55 AM

I have knee lift and tried to get use to using it. It never became a convenience to me. The lever was in my way and caused annoyance.

Stitchnripper 01-15-2020 12:57 PM

One of my machines has it. I also sew on vintage machines in a cabinet that have the controller in the case and there is a thing to press my knee against. So sometimes I get confused with the different ones. Mostly I don't use it. It isn't a "must have" for me.

patricej 01-15-2020 02:21 PM

Originally Posted by Stitchnripper (Post 8351248)
I also sew on vintage machines in a cabinet that have the controller in the case and there is a thing to press my knee against.

i learned on machines like that. after all these decades, when i have the knee lift hooked up, i automatically try to use it as the power control. it's sooooo much fun [not] when the foot goes up while i'm still sewing.

most of them are not positioned properly for me, either.
the lever is too far away from my leg.
i either have to scooch over so my view is distorted or i have to swing my knee waaaay out like i was on some crazy exercise equipment.

happy for those who have and love them.
mine are all tucked away where they can do no harm. lol

Stitchnripper 01-15-2020 02:31 PM

Originally Posted by PatriceJ (Post 8351266)
i learned on machines like that. after all these decades, when i have the knee lift hooked up, i automatically try to use it as the power control. it's sooooo much fun [not] when the foot goes up while i'm still sewing.

most of them are not positioned properly for me, either.
the lever is too far away from my leg.
i either have to scooch over so my view is distorted or i have to swing my knee waaaay out like i was on some crazy exercise equipment.

happy for those who have and love them.
mine are all tucked away where they can do no harm. lol

i know! Annoying for sure to get them confused.

lindaschipper 01-16-2020 05:10 AM

My mothers Singer machine had a knee lift. My Janome used for piecing came with a knee lift, but when we dropped it into a table so that it was flush with the table top, husband forgot to mark a hole to put the knee bar into. Using the foot pedal works for me.

Fizzle 01-16-2020 05:28 AM

I have it on both my Bernina and love it!
You get used to what you have...

QuiltMom2 01-17-2020 04:40 AM

I'm getting ready to do so serious chain piecing and I'm going to give the knee lift a try.

KalamaQuilts 01-17-2020 04:56 AM

I learned to sew on 60's singers and like above, it always was the go forward mechanism.That is a hard instinct to break.
I finally did on my Janome's but the lift is way too far left, to compensate I added two layers of pool noodle to the shaft.

I never use it now so took it off about a year ago. It was wonderful for machine applique though.
The bobbin thread low sensor, comes on (to my knowledge) the machines that stitch out motifs.Having an embroidery module adds a Lot to the cost of a machine and go off way too early (again and again) for patchwork.