Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   Kona Cotton Question (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/kona-cotton-question-t115400.html)

quiltmaker 04-12-2011 05:00 AM

Originally Posted by Vanuatu Jill
I have bought it at Joann's and it is the same-just much less expensive with a coupon! Everyone rags on Joann's, but they still have some good quality brand-name fabrics and their Keepsake fabrics (lesser quality but less money, but still good for quilters on a budget), great sales/coupons, etc, you just have to know how to get the best deals.

Just a note to add that their Keepsake fabrics are NOT anyway related to Keepsake Quilting fabrics. Keepsake Quilting has been trying for ages go get them to remove that name from their line of fabrics as it is very confusing to many people.

Vanuatu Jill 04-12-2011 07:12 PM

Originally Posted by quiltmaker

Originally Posted by Vanuatu Jill
I have bought it at Joann's and it is the same-just much less expensive with a coupon! Everyone rags on Joann's, but they still have some good quality brand-name fabrics and their Keepsake fabrics (lesser quality but less money, but still good for quilters on a budget), great sales/coupons, etc, you just have to know how to get the best deals.

Just a note to add that their Keepsake fabrics are NOT anyway related to Keepsake Quilting fabrics. Keepsake Quilting has been trying for ages go get them to remove that name from their line of fabrics as it is very confusing to many people.

Well noted- I should have mentioned that also. I never did associate the two, but I did buy Joann's Keepsake Calico (that is what they actually call it) when I was learning to quilt and not wanting to spend alot on fabric I might mess up on. I agree, it might be confusing to some. I wonder who had the name first????? It is just like my cafe here in Vanuatu, "Jill's Cafe", which I opened in 1993-about 10 years later another cafe opened only a block away, calling them "Chill's", making deliveries of supplies get messed up and tourists asking for one or the other getting dropped off by taxi drivers to the wrong place! The local language spoken here is very difficult to differentiate between the "CH" and the "J" sound in their language, so it is confusing. I know they thought of that when they named their restaurant.

ghostrider 04-12-2011 07:16 PM

Keepsake Quilting had the name first.

fabric whisperer 04-12-2011 07:17 PM

when I was a mgr at JoAnn's, I always worded it "lets go tidy up the calico wall"... being a quilter, I couldn't call it Keepsake, it just isn't! There is a large variance in what goes on the "calico" wall at J's, they range from $3.99/yd to $9.99/yd ~ look more at the ones that are $6.99-$9.99 and those are the ones that feel comparable to LQS IMHO.

Vanuatu Jill 04-12-2011 07:30 PM

Originally Posted by fabric whisperer
when I was a mgr at JoAnn's, I always worded it "lets go tidy up the calico wall"... being a quilter, I couldn't call it Keepsake, it just isn't! There is a large variance in what goes on the "calico" wall at J's, they range from $3.99/yd to $9.99/yd ~ look more at the ones that are $6.99-$9.99 and those are the ones that feel comparable to LQS IMHO.

I noticed that too this past year or two-I don't recall ever having the better quality Keepsake Calico (6.99-9.99) before-I now look there as well. I have mostly bought Legacy Studio, Debbie Mumm and a couple others (my mind has gone blank!) which are separated from Keepsake Calico, but now it is worth taking a look thru them. I wish they would just keep them separate too!