Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   Kona Cotton Questions (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/kona-cotton-questions-t257837.html)

Pudge 12-06-2014 03:31 PM

Kona Cotton Questions

Hi folks,

Can you all offer some information about Kona cotton? What is it? Is it made by several manufacturers? Are all Kona cottons the same weight? Do you use it for quilting? Do you have to be aware of anything special if you use it for quilting?

TIA

Cheryl

ckcowl 12-06-2014 03:51 PM

Kona cotton is wonderful solid colored fabrics made by the Robert Kaufman fabric company. There are places ( like Joanne's) that tend to call their solids ( Kona) even though they are not. For some reason some seem to think every solid fabric is a * Kona Solid* true Kona solids are colorfast, good color saturation, don't easily fade, have good body/ drape, are wonderful for quilting, piecing, applique & backings along with being good for other sewing projects too. And, they say Robert Kaufman Kona on the bolt

mike'sgirl 12-06-2014 04:09 PM

I bought some kona pfd and was very disappointed in the quality. It looks like cheap muslin. I am still thinking about calling the store where I bought it ( online) and asking if maybe they sent me the wrong fabric. I have ordered this same fabric before and it was a really nice weight.

Pudge 12-06-2014 04:10 PM

Thank you. I have a Nancy's Notions flyer offering Kaufman Kona cotton @ $5.49/yd down from $6.49. Should I do some stash building at this price?

Cheryl

Pudge 12-06-2014 04:11 PM

Originally Posted by mike'sgirl (Post 6997448)
I bought some kona pfd and was very disappointed in the quality. It looks like cheap muslin. I am still thinking about calling the store where I bought it ( online) and asking if maybe they sent me the wrong fabric. I have ordered this same fabric before and it was a really nice weight.

This happened to me, that's why I posted here for guidance.I'm going to make sure I buy only Kaufman.

Cheryl

Jeanne S 12-06-2014 04:18 PM

CkCowl is right--be sure the bolt says Robert Kaufman. It is a wonderful smooth medium/heavy weight cotton perfect for quilting. I think it comes in over 300 different solid colors. I love it and use it all the time. I have ordered it from the fat quarter shop, thousands of bolts and fabric.com and always gotten the real thing.

Pudge 12-06-2014 04:28 PM

Originally Posted by Jeanne S (Post 6997457)
CkCowl is right--be sure the bolt says Robert Kaufman. It is a wonderful smooth medium/heavy weight cotton perfect for quilting. I think it comes in over 300 different solid colors. I love it and use it all the time. I have ordered it from the fat quarter shop, thousands of bolts and fabric.com and always gotten the real thing.

Thanks! I'm a Kaufman woman now!

Pudge 12-06-2014 05:09 PM

Thank you so much, this is very helpful. And, I've never heard of Fabric Shack so I'll check them out. Nancy's Notions isn't offering the full range of colors so I think I'll do better at Fabric Shack.

Cheryl

Mamaw322 12-07-2014 04:53 AM

Pudge, thanks for asking this question, I was curious about Kona myself!

Pudge 12-07-2014 05:07 AM

Originally Posted by Mamaw322 (Post 6997962)
Pudge, thanks for asking this question, I was curious about Kona myself!

Oh, the Kona question was only the first of many I'll be asking. Jump in, there's a lot of smart people here to answer our questions! I've just become somewhat active on this board even though my avatar shows I joined in 2012. I've learned a lot by reading older posts and I've already been helped by others responding to my questions.

Cheryl