Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   Kona cotton (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/kona-cotton-t32070.html)

Joan in AK 12-21-2009 06:34 PM

I needed a solid for a quilt I am going to make. I had heard good things about Kona cotton, so I bought some at Joann's recently. After washing, it felt very coarse and rough,even before washing it felt that way, I must say, so I was surprised. Has anyone else had this experience? Is there a difference in quality of the Kona cotton at Joann's and what is in quilt shops? Has anyone used Moda's bella solids?
Thanks

kluedesigns 12-21-2009 06:45 PM

yes, there's many different qualities of kona cotton so you have to be careful where you buy it joannes carries the cheaper line of kona cotton.

i've used Moda Bella Solids and that is my "go to" brand now but they don't have as many colors to choose from so most of the times i still buy kona cotton.

Joan in AK 12-21-2009 07:07 PM

Thanks KLue. Occasionally, I have seen fabric in Joann's that is exactly like something I have seen in the quilt store. The diffence being that the printing on the Joann's fabric isn't as clear or sharp, and the fabric has a different feel, so that is what made me wonder if there are different qualities of Kona cotton.

BellaBoo 12-21-2009 07:29 PM

Kona makes a good muslin too.

hsquiltingmom 12-21-2009 08:12 PM

I have bought Kona Cottons at my local Hancock Fabrics, and have been pleased with it. I have not ever noticed a problem.

amma 12-22-2009 01:16 AM

I do not use fabric softener when I prewash my fabrics, and the Kona feels much softer to me after using the fabric softener when my projects are done.

ckcowl 12-22-2009 05:38 AM

i have noticed more and more that Joanne's prices keep going up, and the quality is less than walmart...
we had our little joannes close up and build a brand new big store, thought it would be exciting...i am so very disillusioned and disappointed in the new store. not only is the fabric more expensive than the lqs (which we thought was a bit on the high end) but the quality and the customer service is TERRIBLE. i will only visit the store when it is absolutely necessary i am not able to get what i need anywhere else (and i mean anywhere) our lqs carries a beautiful selection of kona solids which are high quality wonderful fabrics...fabric from joannes i would be apt to use for a dog bed (although it would probably fall apart and be riduculously expensive)

LindaR 12-22-2009 05:50 AM

Originally Posted by Joan in AK
I needed a solid for a quilt I am going to make. I had heard good things about Kona cotton, so I bought some at Joann's recently. After washing, it felt very coarse and rough,even before washing it felt that way, I must say, so I was surprised. Has anyone else had this experience? Is there a difference in quality of the Kona cotton at Joann's and what is in quilt shops? Has anyone used Moda's bella solids?
Thanks

I love JoAnns Kona cotton...it does have to be washed before using but all other solids that I have used seem so thin and you can see seam lines thru them....I use it for redwork, applique etc.

ghostrider 12-22-2009 06:38 AM

With the top of the line Kona Cotton Solids in every color available at Hancock's of Paducah for only 3.60 a yard, I never risk getting it anywhere else...and I use a LOT of the stuff!!

Joan in AK 12-22-2009 09:28 AM

After my experience at Joann's, I checked the lgs's and they didn't have much Kona in stock. I checked Hancock's at Paducah and my goodness they have tons of colors. They also have the Bella solids. I have never ordered from them, but have looked at their site many times. I might have to order from them in the future.