Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   Kona solids fraying? (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/kona-solids-fraying-t107756.html)

purduefan 03-14-2011 09:28 PM

Has anyone else had trouble with Kona cottons fraying like crazy on the back side of a quilt top? I am in the process of making my quilt sandwich but keep having to stop to trim thousands of frayed threads from the back that are showing through to the front. I am really frustrated!! Yes, I starched both my fabric and my sewn blocks as I worked.

I am making an entire quilt from nothing but Kona solids (from City Quilts). It's fun and colorful, but not sure I would do another one with all these issues with fraying!

gale 03-14-2011 09:40 PM

I have noticed a lot of fraying. I just bought a Moda Bella solids color card and may try that brand for a while.

KonaLinda 03-14-2011 09:41 PM

I used a Kona cotton gold that frayed. I think I don't really like the fabric.

Jim's Gem 03-14-2011 09:46 PM

Welcome to the board from Southern California!!!!

irishrose 03-14-2011 10:03 PM

I'm having trouble if I don't cut them exactly on grain. Those little threads cut off grain escape easily.

justwannaquilt 03-14-2011 11:12 PM

STARCH! the more you use the less fabric frays. I have two quilt tops drapped over the chair right now and the one has one little stray thread the other has NONE! I use to have ALOT of trouble with fraying. Now that I use the crap outta some starch (2 cans on six yards tonight) I don't have that problem. Its like glue and it holds the fabric together.
Good luck and welcome to the board!

k3n 03-15-2011 01:50 AM

Originally Posted by justwannaquilt
STARCH! the more you use the less fabric frays. I have two quilt tops drapped over the chair right now and the one has one little stray thread the other has NONE! I use to have ALOT of trouble with fraying. Now that I use the crap outta some starch (2 cans on six yards tonight) I don't have that problem. Its like glue and it holds the fabric together.
Good luck and welcome to the board!

This! I use Kona black a lot and prewash then iron with starch (maybe not two cans but a generous amount! :mrgreen: ) and I don't have any more trouble with it than any other brand. I love it because the black is so deep and true. :-D

phatquilts2 03-15-2011 01:59 AM

I pre-wash & use sizing on my Kona, too. I do like it because it retains the black dye.

It has proven for me to be a quality fabric, it is readily accessible and endurable.

The Kona that I use has a good hand, it also comes in a variety of colors and it is a real nice solid blender with other parts of my stash. :-)

Hosta 03-15-2011 02:08 AM

If they fray so badly why doesn't everyone complain to the company by email maybe they would do something about it.

quiltmaker 03-15-2011 02:22 AM

I've used very few Kona solids and find the seem to fray also. I am now looking at the Moda Bella solids and at Michael Millers. Kona has always felt a bit stiff to me but it hasn't been a major problem since I prefer the blender type look rather than a solid.