Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   L/armers...how do you see underneath your quilt? (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/l-armers-how-do-you-see-underneath-your-quilt-t128476.html)

misoop 06-06-2011 09:27 AM

I'm looking for a good tip to be able to see underneath you quilt while it is on your longarm frame. As a 69 yr old, my knees are not the best in the world, and crawling under the quilt to check the stitching is hard on an old lady. :) I did get a hand mirror to put under the quilt while standing up to check with a flashlight, but still sometimes I can't get a good look at the tension, stitches, etc. Just wondering how some of you do this???? Thanks, as always for your help.

0tis 06-06-2011 09:28 AM

Yes, this is a problem - I do the old-fashioned crawl underneath with a flashlight -not the best method but the only one that works for now. Ihope someone here has a better way.

erstan947 06-06-2011 09:31 AM

My friend has a shelf under her's and a long mirror on the shelf with some lighting.

feline fanatic 06-06-2011 09:31 AM

Sorry, can't offer any advice as I crawl under to look. In addition, I always start a new quilt with a scrap of fabric on the side and test my tension there. Because it is on the edge I can easily flip that bit over to look closely at the underside. After that I just take the occasional look underneath and I always carefully inspect the back with each advance of the take up roller.

grandbysquilts 06-06-2011 09:38 AM

I used to be on MY hands and knees, then I got a flashlight and a mirror. My newest Gammill has a built in camera underneath the backing so I can watch it. Thank goodness!

Melrose R 06-06-2011 09:59 AM

Wow, a built in camera? That is super fancy!

Originally Posted by grandbysquilts
I used to be on MY hands and knees, then I got a flashlight and a mirror. My newest Gammill has a built in camera underneath the backing so I can watch it. Thank goodness!

grandbysquilts 06-06-2011 10:15 AM

The camera was one of the reasons I bought that model. This is my 4th long arm. It's the Gammill Vision. Another reason was the diagnostics on board to tell me where something may be going wrong. When you get to be our age, the bells and whistles help. Wish I could have afforded the computer guided at the time, but alas, I still do the same hand guiding I've done for so long.

misoop 06-06-2011 10:27 AM

In addition, I always start a new quilt with a scrap of fabric on the side and test my tension there. Because it is on the edge I can easily flip that bit over to look closely at the underside. After that I just take the occasional look underneath and I always carefully inspect the back with each advance of the take up roller.[/quote]

Yes, I do the extra fabric on the side, also, to check it out when I start, but sometimes, that just doesn't seem to be enough space...if I'm having real tension problems.

QuiltingGrannie 06-06-2011 10:30 AM

I start with the scrap piece to the side of my quilts also to adjust the tension if it needs it. I then look underneath with a flashlight, but mainly just feel under as it's quilting as I can tell by feel if there are issues.

amma 06-06-2011 11:38 AM

Someone on here bought a lighted makeup mirror to see the under side of her quilts :D:D:D