Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   Label from Grandmother (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/label-grandmother-t220556.html)

nhweaver 05-02-2013 01:36 PM

Label from Grandmother

DGD's college grad quilt goes to the LA tomorrow, and now to designing a label. How do you sign a quilt when you are a grandmother/aunt/etc?????. The following seems so impersonal:

Made with Love
for
Chelsea _______
2013 Berry College
by
Leona ______

but

Made with Love
for
Chelsea _____
by
Babci (what they call me)

reads weird to me. Their baby quilts I just did their initials and date they were born. Now I know that more information should be on our handmade quilts.

Any help suggestions, ideas? Also, a while back I used a member for labels, but cannot find the information, any suggestions?
Thanks for your input

PAMAR 05-02-2013 01:45 PM

I just finished a label for my niece's quilt:
Congratulations ______(her name)
Graduation 2013
Love
Aunt ____
I machine embroidered it.

charsuewilson 05-02-2013 04:10 PM

I would sign it as Grandma Leona ___. (or Aunt)
or Babci, Grandma Leona ____
I would include your maiden and married name.

Boston1954 05-02-2013 04:29 PM

Originally Posted by PAMAR (Post 6040446)
I just finished a label for my niece's quilt:
Congratulations ______(her name)
Graduation 2013
Love
Aunt ____
I machine embroidered it.

I think Pamar hit it dead on. It reads nicely, and personally.

Scissor Queen 05-02-2013 05:19 PM

I put "made especially for granddaughter full name by her Gramma my full name." They know I made it with love so I don't put that part on the label.

AZ Jane 05-02-2013 05:24 PM

You can google "quilt label quotes" and find some very interesting ones. I would sign it with the name she calls you and your full name.

newbee3 05-02-2013 05:29 PM

on the labels should have who made it, quilted it and who it was made for the date or just the year it was made.
If it is for people who need to know how to wash the quilt you could add that. I would also inclued some cute design of something of their favorite thing or colors

cathyvv 05-02-2013 05:40 PM

Where you have (what they call me) put in your full name. I do that for the quilts I make for my 'grands', and have had no complaints yet! It is a way to pass information down to the newer branches of the family tree, to preserve some history.

My sister and I put together some blocks my Mom made some years ago, bordered them and quilted it for my newest grandson.

The quilt label said, "Blocks made by Grammy (Isabel Maiden Married)", where Maiden stands for her maiden last name, and married is her married last name

My son, father to my newest grandson, was in tears when he read it, as his Grammy helped raise him. He was happy that his son will have a connection to his Grammy - his words, not mine. However, I think my son will use it for HIS "blankie".