Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   Labeling A Quilt (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/labeling-quilt-t254096.html)

HomekeepingGran 09-21-2014 03:54 AM

Labeling A Quilt

I am giving my baby quilt away once it's done and I want the baby's name and birthdate to be on it. I do have an embroidery machine, but I am also noticing very nice labels which appear to be handwritten. This is such a minor question I'm almost embarrassed to ask, but what pens do you use to mark these? I have never gotten into fabric marking with permanent markers and am interested in it.

Thanks so much,
Carla

QuiltnNan 09-21-2014 04:08 AM

when i use a pen, i use Zig Millenium. it is archival pigment ink. it has a very fine point.

lockesnest 09-21-2014 04:14 AM

I use IDenti.pens by Sakura. I bought then at my LQS, but I am sure you can get them online, too. I did a signature quilt for my granddaughter's wedding and it turned out very well and has washed up nicely.

joyce888 09-21-2014 04:56 AM

JoAnns has permanent pens in their quilting notions section that come in a pack of different colors that are for writing on quilts (Frixon?)

QuiltnNan 09-21-2014 05:22 AM

Originally Posted by joyce888 (Post 6897742)
JoAnns has permanent pens in their quilting notions section that come in a pack of different colors that are for writing on quilts (Frixon?)

if you really do mean Frixion, don't use them for your labels... they disappear with heat/ironing. i love my Frixion pens for marking the quilts for quilting.

nanna-up-north 09-21-2014 05:40 AM

2 Attachment(s)
I think what you're looking for are pigma pens. I bought a set online a couple of years ago to use up here at our summer cabin. I have more at the winter place but they are different sizes. I like the .05 size because it is thick enough to do a nice label. The skinny pens .005 are really too thin and I have to go over my lettering several times to get a nice label.

You can usually find these at quilt shops, too. I don't know if Joann's carries them. I don't go there often and haven't looked for them.

Jeanne S 09-21-2014 06:56 AM

I also use the Micron Pigma fine point pens, bought them at Hobby Lobby with a coupon as they are a little pricey.

jeanne49 09-21-2014 07:01 AM

I have the Pigma pens, but find them too fine and can't get a nice flow on my penmanship so I bought a set of fabric marking pens at either Michaels or AC Moore, can't remember which, but them have 2 points, one fine and the othpeis like a marker type. They work the best.

jlm5419 09-21-2014 07:03 AM

Originally Posted by joyce888 (Post 6897742)

NO! Frixion pens are not permanent! The ink will disappear with heat, and also will wash out.

Homespun 09-21-2014 10:26 AM

I have used Pentel 'Gel Roller for Fabric' pens.