Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   Labeling quilts (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/labeling-quilts-t7055.html)

collettakay 05-11-2008 05:54 PM

I'm about 2/3 done with my first quilt and am starting to think about how to label it. Does anyone have any favorite techniques or ideas about how I should label the quilt?

Also does anyone keep a scrapbook or binder documenting the quilts they complete. I want to do this for myself and was wondering if there were any ideas on how to organize one.

nanabirdmo 05-11-2008 06:14 PM

great question. i keep a scrap book/photo album. i jot notes with as much info as i can think of.
as far as labels i sometimes make a label but probably most of the time i use an archival (acid free) pen to just write on the back down in one corner. the minimum info would be your name and date. anything else would be gravy for whoever gets your quilt in a hundred years or so.

Harmony 05-11-2008 07:48 PM

I often by pre-printed labels you can buy at the fabric store. They're pretty, and you can just write in your information. I've experimented with doing labels on the computer and printing them on fabric, but I always worry about them washing out. My newest experiment is to paper piece a label using fabric from the quilt itself, then writing the info on there. These are pretty cute, and make the label look like more than an afterthought!

amma 05-11-2008 08:03 PM

Oh, I like your idea Harmony! I have quite a few ufo's and I have been thinking about how I want to make the labels :D

MissTreated 05-11-2008 09:21 PM

I often use a left over block and embroider pertinent information on it, such as date, name of the quilt, who it is for and what occasion, who made it and who it is from.

I read somewhere, it is best to put the label on before it is quilted, making it difficult to remove should the quilt be stolen. If the quilt shows up it might have a chance of getting back to it's rightful owner. Personally, I'm thinkin' someone who is stealing stuff would take the t.v. and the computer before they would take the quilt.

M

MissTreated 05-11-2008 09:23 PM

Here's a label I put on a quilt for a wedding gift. Heart shaped, embroidered with the stuff I mentioned above.

M

http://i10.photobucket.com/albums/a1...s/IMG_4201.jpg

Izy 05-11-2008 11:30 PM

I have downloaded quite a few quilt labels for free and then you can print them using the freezer paper method.... If I remember correctly the quilterscache site might have some basic ones. I have thought about designing my own on the computer with clip art and stuff....will add it to my 'to do' list :D :lol:

Calico92402 05-12-2008 04:37 AM

I've been quilting less than a year and a half, but have probably made twenty lap quilts in that time, so have been hard at it. I made a scrapbook, starting with my husband's offering to help with the purchase of a new sewing machine for Christmas 2006 (just a Kenmore), and a picture of me and him from Christmas day. I type captions, sentences, paragraphs, etc. about the quilt, where it went, the picture, etc., and attach them next to the photo. It's a lot of fun to go back and look at.
For labels, I use freezer paper and a piece of fabric that matches fairly well, and permanent markers - name of person it's going to, my name and city, date, name of pattern if I used one.

vicki reno 05-12-2008 04:41 AM

I do lot of applique and usually use a smaller version of the pattern, star, flower, etc and write all the info on it, satin stitch the edges and slip stitch it to the quilt or machine stitch it down if it is a design where the machine stitching won't show.

sandpat 05-12-2008 05:06 AM

I've experimented with several things. The one that turned out the best was to take a block that I ended up not using on the front and had a friend embroider the info. on the block. I then appliqued the block to the back prior to quilting. (My machine is too old to do the nice embroidery designs).

I keep pictures of all my quilts, although I've been way too lazy to actually go buy a book to put them in. Since I just started quilting in 06, I guess I better do that while I can still remember where they all went!! :roll: