Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   Labling Quilts (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/labling-quilts-t142445.html)

ldrussell 08-03-2011 06:13 PM

Do any of you do a story how a quiltcame about. When you give a quilt as a gift along with quilt soap. Do you also tell them how much money is wrapped up with the quilt for insurance purpose.

I was told by a friend that your suppose to do that. I never heard of that before. Could someone tell me if this is true.

LindaM 08-03-2011 06:17 PM

I often include the story of the quilt - why I selected this pattern for them, what I thought of during the making, how to care for the quilt. But I have never included the price of the materials or what I would value it at.

On the other hand, it *would* be good advice to make sure that they are aware, in some way, that the quilt is not a $20 mass produced item. If it is an heirloom and/or needs to be insured, maybe a gentle suggestion to that effect. If you're really serious, then you could get an official appraisal and include that for them!

GingerK 08-03-2011 06:23 PM

That is a very good idea. I am just about ready to start a wedding quilt for a niece. I know that her mother has no idea about the time, effort or money that goes into such a quilt. Thank you for suggesting an appraisal.

I am planning on giving a little history with the quilt--especially the pattern and why I selected it.

AbbyQuilts 08-03-2011 06:23 PM

Originally Posted by ldrussell
Do any of you do a story how a quiltcame about. When you give a quilt as a gift along with quilt soap. Do you also tell them how much money is wrapped up with the quilt for insurance purpose.

I was told by a friend that your suppose to do that. I never heard of that before. Could someone tell me if this is true.

I dont. On my labels I put the persons name, my name when I made it and if I named the quilt the quilt's name and that is it.
I also dont tell them what is in it. My quilts are gifts and they are meant to be used abused and well loved. If I told them how much money was in it most would want to put it away for fear of damaging it
no thanks

Granny Quilter 08-03-2011 06:32 PM

Originally Posted by LindaM
I often include the story of the quilt - why I selected this pattern for them, what I thought of during the making, how to care for the quilt. But I have never included the price of the materials or what I would value it at.

On the other hand, it *would* be good advice to make sure that they are aware, in some way, that the quilt is not a $20 mass produced item. If it is an heirloom and/or needs to be insured, maybe a gentle suggestion to that effect. If you're really serious, then you could get an official appraisal and include that for them!

Where would get an appraisal?

bitsnpieces11 08-03-2011 06:40 PM

I've been making quilts for about 35 years and never once did I think of trying to put a 'price' on my hard work when I give it away. This is a novel idea, about the insurance value, I guess I'm a bit behind the times, I don't have any of the ones I've kept insured either. Although I have taken pictures of our entire home and belongings and cataloged everything for our home owners insurance, its all on a CD in our saftey deposit box at the credit union. BUT...I don't believe I even thought about the value of the quilts.....hmmmmmmmm....thank you so much for the thought provoking idea.

wolfkitty 08-03-2011 06:52 PM

This is the first I've heard of such a thing! I could see coming up with some sort of price if you had to mail it and were insuring it, but other than that, I can't see getting an appraisal. (Unless it was a show quilt)

LindaM 08-03-2011 06:55 PM

Originally Posted by Granny Quilter
Where would get an appraisal?

A great place to start - our own QuiltingBoard LockeB! He is a certified appraiser, listed on the Canadian Quilters' Professional page ..
http://www.canadianquilter.com/profe...als.php?page=2

I've met Judy Lyons too - she did appraisals at our Guild show last year, as well as a bed turning event - very cool!

Looks like this might be another good place to look ...
http://www.quiltappraisers.org/

spinnergs 08-03-2011 07:05 PM

My latest quilt magazine (I think it was McCall's) had an article on how to pick a quilt for quilt auction/raffle. It also suggested to place a sheet of paper with the quilt to let the people know how much a quilt costs in materials as well as hours of labor. Thought that was good advice when selling tickets.

amma 08-03-2011 07:18 PM

You would have to have it officially appraised if you wanted to have it insured for replacement. If you feel your quilt warrants that, go for it and include the paper work with the quilt so they have the needed info :D:D:D

Mine will never be worthy of that expense :oops: but I can see having it done on some of the quilts that I have seen here :D:D:D

I am not sure I would include a price list on a "regular" quilt gift... I don't think I would be any more comfortable with that, than I would including a receipt to show how much I spent on a set of dishes, towels, etc... :D:D:D