Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   Labour of Love (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/labour-love-t35441.html)

nantucketsue 01-29-2010 11:42 AM

I presented my sister-in-law with a quilt for her 70th birthday, which, thankfully, she was delighted with, but she could not understand why I do not make quilts to sell. Bearing in mind it was hand quilted and took at least ten months to complete from design to finish, I could not make her understand that this is something I could only do for someone I cared about. How do other quilters feel about their quilts? Is there a word for our addiction to this craft and the emotion it evokes in us?

Marjpf 01-29-2010 11:44 AM

I can't put a price on what I put into a quilt. I also don't think I could make one without a specific person (even if it's me) in mind to make it for.
Some people love to cook for others, we quilt.
I know I do it out of love for the person I am giving it to, and out of love for playing with fabric.

Ninnie 01-29-2010 11:47 AM

I have an Aunt that always asks the same thing. I have tried to explain to here that this is something i do for myself. the greatest pull is that i don't have to do it, but am drawn to do it. Those who do not hand quilt a quilt, don't understand the joy we get from doing all those stitches. It's not about the finished item, it is about the journey along the way. I love choosing a stencil, and sitting down and seeing it come together with my own 2 hands.

Damkina 01-29-2010 12:05 PM

I doubt that anyone who doesn't quilt or hand quilt would understand the amount of love, thought and time that goes into making a quilt.

I've done just one commission... and would never do another as I know the amount of work wasn't appreciated with the cost I had to charge. I only make quilts for family and friends now as gifts and chose the fabrics so suit who the recipient is.

Maride 01-29-2010 12:08 PM

I haven't been able to sell one for a while. I am able to part from them if my family is in need of the $$. My MIL keeps asking why I keep making them if I am not selling any. She doesn't understand loving the process as well as the rewards.

Oklahoma Suzie 01-29-2010 12:40 PM

I don't think I could ever sell one. I love them all to much. I would just make them for family and friends.

amma 01-29-2010 12:46 PM

I quilt because I enjoy it, if I started making them to sell then I would have to make them and in a specified time frame. This would seem more like a job than a hobby that I love. I like being able to bounce from quilt to quilt as my mood strikes....:wink: :D:D:D

littlehud 01-29-2010 08:51 PM

I love making quilts for those I love. I have a hard time imaging letting one go.

weezie 01-29-2010 09:13 PM

Just as some people cannot understand why we make quilts, I do not understand people who have no hobby, specifically one that stirs their creative juices. I have several friends who have no hobby, but who have the time to devote to one. They don't have jobs and do not spend a great deal of time and effort cleaning or doing yard work. What do they do???? It's a big mystery to me. The days and evenings can be mighty long and boring with no hobby.

earthwalker 01-29-2010 09:21 PM

Originally Posted by weezie
Just as some people cannot understand why we make quilts, I do not understand people who have no hobby, specifically one that stirs their creative juices. I have several friends who have no hobby, but who have the time to devote to one. They don't have jobs and do not spend a great deal of time and effort cleaning or doing yard work. What do they do???? It's a big mystery to me. The days and evenings can be mighty long and boring with no hobby.

Me either....I can't be without something to do, I love quilting, gardening, embroidery and reading. I need a whole other lifetime to squash in all the things I want to achieve. People are often surprised I quilt....apparently I don't look like a quilter??? They are also surprised when they see how long it takes to do and wonder why I even bother....ah well...another of life's weirdosities (I don't even think that's a word, but you know what I mean!).