Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   laminated fabrics (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/laminated-fabrics-t180560.html)

newbie1001 02-24-2012 03:45 PM

laminated fabrics

Hi, a while ago I bought some laminated fabrics just to see how they are to work with, since you see them all over now. Now, obviously there is an issue with creasing. I figured out that you can iron these fabrics from the back, with a muslin etc. in between, and that works well. My question is, how do you iron out creases once you've made the fabric into something? If you have a tote for example that has a lining made of another laminated fabric, you cannot get to either the outside nor the inside from the back, if that makes sense. I just assume that by using the item it'll eventually get creases again. Does anyone have experience with that?

Thanks,

Manuela

joyce888 02-24-2012 03:49 PM

I haven't worked with them but I'd think you could use a blow dryer set on low heat and heat the laminate to remove creases.

Favorite Fabrics 02-24-2012 04:00 PM

I've wondered about the crease issue, from a different perspective: that of shipping the fabric. I mean, why would you want to buy fabric that came with creases in it? So I asked for a sample from one of our sales reps, and asked him to just mail it to us, folded in an ordinary envelope, so that I could see if it was possible to get the wrinkles out.

Sadly, as much as I ironed it, with steam, spray, anything... I could not get the crease out. How disappointing!

newbie1001 02-24-2012 04:02 PM

I had read about that when searching for info on how to get the creases out, it didn't work for me. Maybe I was just too careful not get the air too hot and burn the fabric. So I might give that another try. Great colorful quilt in your avatar, btw!

newbie1001 02-24-2012 04:05 PM

Originally Posted by Favorite Fabrics (Post 5005273)

Sadly, as much as I ironed it, with steam, spray, anything... I could not get the crease out. How disappointing!

I know what you mean, selling items made from this fabric and shipping them would pose the same problem. I just wonder how these fabrics find customers in the long run if there are such issues with it.

MdmSew'n'Sew 02-24-2012 04:09 PM

One of my first jobs was in a furniture factory, upholstering dining room chairs with naugahyde - we had huge heat guns, similar to hairdryers, which we used to smooth out the naugahyde - if you try the hairdryer, you will need to remember to keep the dryer working back and forth, holding it on one spot will cause the laminate to get very thin and weak in that spot.

newbie1001 02-24-2012 05:42 PM

Okay, I'll give it another try with the hairdryer. Thanks!

Favorite Fabrics 02-24-2012 06:28 PM

Let us know how you make out!

I believe these fabrics start out rolled-on-tube... no folds there. So if you buy it in person from a store there will be no folds. Provided that you don't fold it when you put it into your shopping bag, because that would crease it too!

jaciqltznok 02-24-2012 06:31 PM

Originally Posted by Favorite Fabrics (Post 5005273)
I've wondered about the crease issue, from a different perspective: that of shipping the fabric. I mean, why would you want to buy fabric that came with creases in it? So I asked for a sample from one of our sales reps, and asked him to just mail it to us, folded in an ordinary envelope, so that I could see if it was possible to get the wrinkles out.

yep found that out years ago...guess the NEW stuff is not any better..sad as spendy as it is!

BellaBoo 02-24-2012 07:07 PM

I bought 1 1/2 yards of Sheri Berry laminated fabric and left it folded in the bag for several weeks. I tossed it in the dryer on high heat with a load of towels and it came out crease free. But the fold creases were so faint when I unfolded it, it really wasn't necessary to get rid of them. The fabric is soft and feels like cotton on the laminate side. What line of laminate fabric do you have?