Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   Lap Quilt Size (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/lap-quilt-size-t187210.html)

lsb142 04-26-2012 04:32 AM

Lap Quilt Size

What size do you make your lap quilts? My sister is having back surgery in a couple of months. I can't be there with her for the surgery but I would like to give her a quilt to take to the hospital with her. I little piece of me will there with her.

Linda

Blackberry 04-26-2012 04:45 AM

Originally Posted by lsb142 (Post 5170743)
What size do you make your lap quilts? My sister is having back surgery in a couple of months. I can't be there with her for the surgery but I would like to give her a quilt to take to the hospital with her. I little piece of me will there with her.

Linda

I make lap quilts for the nursing home wheel chair patients and I buy the Warm & Natural Crib Size Batts. These batts are 45 x 60 and so I don't have large pieces of left over batting, I make the lap quilt to this size. The nursing homes just love these.

quilter1943 04-26-2012 04:46 AM

I usually make them at least 40 x 60. A lot depends on person's size - if she's taller, you'd want it longer. I like a quilt to cover my toes and come up to my chin, so that's my guideline. Any size will be fine. If you think she'll be in a wheelchair, you'd want it smaller.

qbquilts 04-26-2012 04:53 AM

I make my lap quilts/throws with a minimum of 50" per side to a maximum of 70" per side - a lot depends on the recipient and the pattern I'm using.

Pat625 04-26-2012 05:07 AM

I decide on my size depending on the height of the person I am makimng it for. The average would be about the size of a crib quilt, but I prefer to make my a little wider and long enuf for an adult to cover from neck to toes..Even when making them for children, I like to make them bigger, so they don't outgrow them too soon

Tartan 04-26-2012 05:35 AM

I usually do about 40X60 because that way you can use regular size fabric width to do the back. It also seems to be a good size for hauling around without being too big. If the person is extra tall, I will add to the length a little to cover from toes to shoulder.

Sandee 04-26-2012 09:39 AM

Around 50 X 65. I don't think any 2 are the same size!

sahm4605 04-26-2012 10:06 AM

lap quilt size truly depends on the recipient. I would make it a min of 40" wide and the length can be around your sisters height. this way it will cover her very well. I do like a wider "blanket" when I am snuggled up on the couch or laying down in bed. so 50" would be the min for me. the 40" is good if she is going to be in a wheel chair for a bit.

Bicycle Hobo 04-26-2012 10:09 AM

If I can, I measure the person that will be using the lap quilt and let the person's height, as well as the intended use, dictate the final dimension of the individual quilt itself. I just finished my mother's own quilt. Since she is just under 5 foot, I made the quilt a square 45"x 45". She mostly sits up in her chair watch television with it. Although at times, she likes to lie down and cover herself with it.

cwessel47 04-26-2012 10:15 AM

I agree with the answers here. There is no set size and you have to think of the person's size. I think a minimum width is about 43" - so you can use a solid back of 45" wide fabric. I don't like breezes sneaking in around the edges! My dad is taller than my sister - so his is longer. Choose the pattern that you want to do and let that choose the actual dimensions for you.