Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   Lap Quilt (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/lap-quilt-t150384.html)

SheriR 09-04-2011 01:19 PM

I was given material and asked to make a lap quilt. 2 yards for the back and 3 half yard pieces plus a fat quarter for the top....

I was thinking to do a D9P and use part of the yardage for the back to make up what I KNOW I will lack.

I have never made a D9P but I'm dying to and I need a FAST pattern, they want this top by Tuesday.... Is this possible with the materials I've been given? Or is there a better pattern out there to make.

I'm worried.

dunster 09-04-2011 01:27 PM

D9P is pretty fast to make, but whether you can finish it by Tuesday or not depends on you (and on what TIME on Tuesday). Do the fabrics work well together? Is there a certain size you need it to be?

irishrose 09-04-2011 01:29 PM

Did anyone indicate the size? A lap quilt can vary from wheelchair size to quite large. You don't have enough for a very large one, then there's binding and borders, if you want, them to think about.

A Rail Fence would be faster and may lose a little less to seams.

SheriR 09-04-2011 01:31 PM

Originally Posted by dunster
D9P is pretty fast to make, but whether you can finish it by Tuesday or not depends on you (and on what TIME on Tuesday). Do the fabrics work well together? Is there a certain size you need it to be?

The fabrics are pretty, I'm just sure there isn't enough. And the lady just said Lap Quilt and the back is suppose to be 2 yards. But the front material doesn't even add up to 2 yards so ..... Can a lap quilt be 45 x 60 ish??

SheriR 09-04-2011 01:33 PM

Originally Posted by irishrose
Did anyone indicate the size? A lap quilt can vary from wheelchair size to quite large. You don't have enough for a very large one, then there's binding and borders, if you want, them to think about.

I asked about binding and she said.. turn the back to the front. Which is fine. I may have to steal from my stash for the extra fabric. AND piece the back for her so it's a bit larger???

just_the_scraps_m'am 09-04-2011 01:33 PM

this sounds like quite the challenge...

i couldn't do it w/o the middle!

Good Luck, speedy!

just_the_scraps_m'am 09-04-2011 01:35 PM

Originally Posted by SheriR

Originally Posted by dunster

The fabrics are pretty, I'm just sure there isn't enough. And the lady just said Lap Quilt and the back is suppose to be 2 yards. But the front material doesn't even add up to 2 yards so ..... Can a lap quilt be 45 x 60 ish??

it can be whatever size is needed, but i always thought they were supposed to be more "square"...

dunster 09-04-2011 01:42 PM

If you cut all 3 half-yard pieces and the fat quarter into 5" squares for your D9P you will have AT MOST 24 squares from each 1/2 yard and 15 from the FQ, so 87 squares total. You can only make nine 9-patch blocks with that, with a few squares left over from the FQ. Each 9-patch will measure 14" unfinished, 13.5" finished, and you'll lose half an inch (if I remember correctly) when you make the D9P, so say 13" finished, 3x3 blocks, you have enough for a lap quilt that is 39x39. I suppose that's big enough for some purposes, not for others. But if that's what they gave you, that's probably what they expect. You will have extra fabric from the back, but you will need to piece it. There will be plenty for a binding. It seems to me that they were a little stingy with the fabric for the top.

SheriR 09-04-2011 01:53 PM

Originally Posted by just_the_scraps_m'am
this sounds like quite the challenge...

i couldn't do it w/o the middle!

Good Luck, speedy!

It's a quilt for a charity auction and they intend on had quilting it Tuesday night. I can sew squares together, which is why i was thinking D9P. But now I'm nervous... I was going to volunteer to help quilt, thinking I could learn that. I asked her about the top and she swallowed and said it wasn't made, she just purchased the fabric Saturday. I was like OMGOSH..... Let me make the top (one of two) She ran home from church and got the fabric so I'd have it... I looked at it on the way home and KNEW there wasn't enough. I can post the fabric. (hopefully)

SheriR 09-04-2011 01:56 PM

It seems to me that they were a little stingy with the fabric for the top.[/quote]

Not stingy, I think she didn't have a clue what she was doing....