Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   Lap Quilts--115 (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/lap-quilts-115-a-t178394.html)

SUSIENC 02-06-2012 02:26 PM

Lap Quilts--115

I wanted to know if it is possible to make 115 lap quilts by Nov 2012.There is a young (22) yr old that wants to make these for the homeless and put a small bible in a pocket on the quilts.I am new to the quilt world here.I have learned alot from everyone butt I couldnt answer her questions......she is also on a limited.......I mean poor limited budget.......I have ask my friends for any fabric--shirts--they dont want...............can she get this done..........ADVICE................what size is a lap quilt?????......Thanks.......

karenpatrick 02-06-2012 02:32 PM

I don't know either, but I would be happy to donate fabric and even make a few myself. PM me if you think she would accept some fabric from me.

wanda lou 02-06-2012 02:46 PM

Sure it's possible.

Quiltaddict 02-06-2012 02:49 PM

That would be a real challenge. To do 115 quilts by November would mean approximately 3 quilts per week. I couldn't do that and I'm retired.

SUSIENC 02-06-2012 03:14 PM

Hi Karenpatrick..........I will ask her about your offer and get back with you.Thank You for the offer........

Jan in VA 02-06-2012 03:22 PM

Between September 2010 and April 2011, with the help of this internet group and my local guild, I had made and quilted 128 quilts for a battalion in Afghanistan; but it was a mammoth task, all-consuming, and very expensive. Thank God for the beautiful, generous members here who came forward with love and effort to cover these men. It is NOT something I could possibly have handled on my own!

I fear that her heart is larger than her ability alone. Is she willing to do the legwork for donations from the community and ask for local sewers to assist??

Jan in VA

momto5 02-06-2012 04:29 PM

I did about 65-70 last year...some lap, some baby, some full/queen...and it was a J-O-B!! PM me if I can help with fabric or anything else...

SUSIENC 02-06-2012 05:39 PM

Hi Ladies......I just spoke with her mom and the number she wants to do is 105........not 115......butt who knows.I have her address and will email it to the ones than want to help.I contacted my xsister in law and she is going to ask at the nursing home where she works for their scrubs....and what ever else they can donate.....the xsister in lawl sews tooooooo....I am working on her.......aleast she dreams big...........Thanks

dunster 02-06-2012 05:57 PM

I think you friend has a big heart but she may not have enough practical information to make this project a success. One question I would have is where the quilts are going. Is there an organization that will accept them, and do they have any input into the size, quantity, and type of quilts needed? If the homeless that she wants to reach are those who are living outdoors, under bridges, etc. then quilts may not be the best way to help out, and lap quilts in particular would not be useful. Hand-made quilts will not last long under those conditions, and something more sturdy and less likely to be sold would be more practical.

T-Anne 02-06-2012 06:01 PM

I would think you could do it...if you truly keep them lap size and do a very simple pattern. But you be will be VERY busy.