Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   Lap quilts for nursing home residents (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/lap-quilts-nursing-home-residents-t200449.html)

Wanabee Quiltin 09-19-2012 12:33 PM

Our quilt guild made lap quilts at one time. The only thing I remember is that they said put a pocket on it. It seems to me the quilts were tapered for those in wheelchairs. I do not have the pattern, sorry.

wildyard 09-20-2012 04:11 PM

I make the shawls, but I often use the fleece and double knit fabric that has been donated to me and which I have no other use for. In this case, I piece the double knits into scrappy squares or D9Ps and then stitch them right sides together to the fleece. This combo makes a really warm shawl and uses up those double knits.
I get fleece remnants when the fleece is on sale at Joann's so it's on sale then also half price on the remnant. If one piece is too small, you can combine two.

deedum 09-21-2012 03:30 AM

I have four cozy shoulder wraps ready to go to the nursing home. My BIL is wonderful and is going to deliver them for me, when I get a few more done. He does weekly visits and has gotten to know the residents and who needs them. I think they are neat. I might just make myself one for the cold winter days!

barri1 10-10-2012 04:32 PM

I didn't forget about this thread. It has been on my mind. I am hoping to get a couple out to you. I'm looking at before Thanksgiving. I just got very busy at work, as we are having a mass immunization schedule for the flu vaccines, and Tdap, as we have pertusses going around. I hope there are others that are still planing on helping.
Will get you mailing address when I'm done.
Barri

kbishburg 10-11-2012 02:47 PM

1 Attachment(s)

Originally Posted by x7lillies (Post 5514127)
I second that idea. I'd be more than willing to donate some scraps, or even blocks (maybe everyone could donate enough blocks for one quilt?).

Funny - I was just about to post free fabric. I bid on a lot of pink rose fabric from Ebay and won it for $20. Turns out, the roses are larger than I thought (the ruler is 4 inches square) and I have 17, yes seventeen yards! Would love to give away like 10 yards!

granny216 10-11-2012 03:18 PM

What a wonderful shawl. Have to go to dr. tomorrow so will get a yard of fleece and try one for a friend that is a resident in the nursing home. I think these would be great for anyone in their homes also. If it comes out well for me I will make a few for those that are always telling me they are cold.

Originally Posted by Marycumi (Post 5513922)
Here is a link to a free pattern for a cozy shoulder shawl from Sewing With Nancy. Easy quick and just right for a nursing home resident.

http://www.nancysnotions.com/jump.do...=cozyshoulders

Twisted Quilter 10-22-2012 10:35 AM

Sending PM. :o

binkister 10-24-2012 06:37 PM

That is why , when my father was in the nursing home , I did his laundry to make sure all his things were always there. I had put a note on the door and on the closet door as to family will do laundry, just put in the bag in the closet.

pocoellie 10-24-2012 07:02 PM

I know this is a little bit late after your posting, but may I suggest you talk to the nursing home "leaders" before you make anything to donate. We have a nursing home facility in our small town and a couple of my quilting friends were going to make quilts and donate to them, but the "leaders" said that they didn't want any donated quilts, that if the patient died and the family didn't want the quilt, the facility would just throw the quilts away, so needless to say, we're not donating to them, but are donating our quilts to kids with cancer.

Belfrybat 10-25-2012 06:15 PM

I'm a new quilter and set a goal to make 12 lap quilts for the local nursing home by Christmas. I figured if I pushed myself like that, I'd learn faster, plus wouldn't be too embarrassed to give something away that was not perfect as I know these folks really are in need. Actually I'm seriously considering asking that the first quilts be given to blind people since they are so bad! I have 8 tops done and really need to get to the quilting part. I'm using the disappearing nine patch for about half of them and scrappy tube quilting method for others. I was asked to make the wheelchair quilts no longer than 40" and to put ties on them. The others are around 40x50".