Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   ? for LAQ (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/laq-t264305.html)

ManiacQuilter2 04-21-2015 02:55 PM

? for LAQ

I am so VERY lucky that I have a newbie who recently purchased a LA (don't know model info) that is happy to quilt my charity quilts as she learns to user her new toy. I have been quilting for 25 years and have certain habits.

My question is if she uses Sulky rayon thread on the top, should she also use it in the bobbin?? I always made sure I used matching cotton thread in my bobbin. I want to be helpful to her so I just wasn't sure what the answer you would be from all you LAQs. THANKS for you input.

soccertxi 04-21-2015 03:14 PM

most of the time I match my top with my bobbin thread. If I have trouble with tension, I try to match a slippery thread (glide, magnifico..never used rayon) with something less slippery but close in weight..so maybe with a light weight thread, I would use SoFine. Most long armers find what works in their long arm by trial and error. You might suggest she check out Jamie Wallen's You Tube video about tension. I found it very helpful when I bought a pre-loved longarm and got no new owners class. Here is a link:

http://www.bing.com/videos/search?q=...A3EF3279102A80

Prism99 04-21-2015 03:30 PM

It's definitely easier to hide tension issues if you use the same thread in top and bobbin. It's not necessary, though. Longarmers can mix top and bobbin threads just as domestic machine users do.

However, I am curious about the selection of Sulky rayon for quilting. Rayon thread is not nearly as strong as cotton or polyester thread and I think is not usually used for quilting for that reason. Some time ago I asked here on the QB about using rayon thread to quilt a charity quilt I was finishing up (the thread color was a perfect match), but got quite a few posts that advised against it.

Genden 04-21-2015 03:47 PM

I have used Sulky rayon for machine applique with aurifil cotton on the bobbin. However, it is my understanding that the rayon is not strong enough for quilting. I know it breaks easily with applique unless I place the spool a distance from my machine.

Barb in Louisiana 04-21-2015 03:52 PM

I always use the same color upper and lower threads. I do have issues in curves with going too fast and the bobbin thread does get pulled up to the top more than I would like. I'm trying to learn to be consistent.

lfletcher 04-22-2015 05:03 AM

I don't believe the Sulky rayon thread will work in a longarm machine. The machine stitches very fast and I think the rayon would break constantly.

alleyoop1 04-22-2015 05:23 AM

I bought rayon thread years ago for a quilt I was making my daughter for Christmas. I never used it because it kept breaking. I only use cotton or poly thread now.

Tartan 04-22-2015 06:18 AM

​Rayon is fine for wall hangings or even table toppers or table runners. I would not use it for quilting a quilt due to the breakage.

amandasgramma 04-22-2015 06:23 AM

Same on upper and lower....but I'm with others, Rayon is NOT a good thread to use on quilts. Tell her to check out www.metroemb.com and try that thread out. I used it all the time when I longarmed for customers and NEVER had a complaint. The website doesn't say you can use it on a longarm, but I have successfully for 100s of quilts. AND it's CHEAPER!!!!!

Annaquilts 04-22-2015 06:44 AM

Originally Posted by Prism99 (Post 7172513)

However, I am curious about the selection of Sulky rayon for quilting. Rayon thread is not nearly as strong as cotton or polyester thread and I think is not usually used for quilting for that reason. Some time ago I asked here on the QB about using rayon thread to quilt a charity quilt I was finishing up (the thread color was a perfect match), but got quite a few posts that advised against it.

Yes this! I would also be concerned about that especially since donation quilts are often used and washed.