Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   Large cone or small spools (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/large-cone-small-spools-t263788.html)

Geri B 04-09-2015 06:53 AM

Large cone or small spools

Which do you use most on your DM for piecing? Because I use natural or grey on all piecing, I use the large cones....but, since I got my machine back from its "general service"' it is acting up....i.e., NOW it's skipping stitches, and last night I wanted to zig something and it was not consistent in its zigs. Seems the service did more harm then good.....besides, the repairman (hubby of store owner) just passed suddenly and unexpected....so my little dilemma will have to wait.....fortunately I have a Viking that does everything without a hassle.......so back to my original question..........

DresiArnaz 04-09-2015 06:59 AM

I started using serger thread cones so I wouldn't go broke just buying thread. 3K yards for $2.50 can't be beat

I'm too cheap to buy an adapter so I hang it upside down from my chandalier with a paper clip, rubber band and binder clip.

I used well over 3K yards in the quilt I just made so I need cheap thread!

Geri B 04-09-2015 07:06 AM

I don't use serger thread, as I was told it is not strong enough to use as sewing thread...in a serger it is one of many in a totally different stitch pattern...? I use a poly wrapped cotton sewing thread....get it from WAWAK usually. Have mine in one of those cone holders.......your thread path sounds interesting!

feline fanatic 04-09-2015 07:07 AM

I use cones and splurged on an adapter for a whopping $5 (I bought mine decades ago so it was probably only $4 when I got it)

http://www.walmart.com/ip/24548339?w...801872&veh=sem

I would, however, advise against using serger thread for piecing. Serger thread is notoriously weak as it is not meant to be used as the only thread in a seam but serged with multiple strands.

LOL Geri B we were posting at the same time! Great minds think alike

Sally J 04-09-2015 07:11 AM

I use large cones of ILY thread in light grey for everything. It's polyester and is great (no link in my bobbin area). I did splurge for a portable adapter from connecting threads but have saved the cost of it with using the large cone instead of small spools already. I love this system.

tessagin 04-09-2015 07:25 AM

I bought large spools (not serger) of C&C (1200 yards) for about $6. It's mercerized and I've had no problems with it.

luvspaper 04-09-2015 07:48 AM

I use Essential Threads from Connecting Threads (and it is also what I generally use to FMQ). I use the spools that are $2.79 for 1200 yards. I used 4-5 for the FMQ on my kingsized that was VERY quilted.

I generally just piece with leftovers from FMQ spools or colors that are close that I got on a thread sale at CT.

DresiArnaz 04-09-2015 08:21 AM

The thread I've been using feels just like regular all purpose thread to me. It's not that really thin stretchy stuff they use in garments.

Snooze2978 04-09-2015 08:23 AM

Right now I'm using up all the threads that came when my mother came to live with me. Using up all the lightest colors first and moving on to the darker shades when working on a dark quilt. Of course if the thread is on a wood spools I just toss it as I'm sure its too old and will break or at least I'm thinking it will. I was shocked when I noticed how high the price of thread has gotten in recent years so when I find a good sale on white or light colored all purpose threads I stock up. If I can find it in the cone size, more the better. Its amazing how much thread we go thru in putting a quilt together.

I'm also using some quilting thread that came with my quilt machine as it seems it doesn't like it so why waste it. I'm sure it would work now that I've gotten used to the machine and know how to adjust the tension but just never got around to it plus "pink" is not my color and have yet to quilt a top needing pink thread.

PaperPrincess 04-09-2015 08:34 AM

I also use cones. I have a stand alone thread stand, and my Viking Diamond has an adaptor that lets me put it right on the machine. I think serger thread isn't strong enough when used as a single strand.