Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   Large lap sized quilt ideas for 5 year old girl (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/large-lap-sized-quilt-ideas-5-year-old-girl-t274581.html)

Fieryphoenix 01-16-2016 08:06 PM

Originally Posted by Elise1 (Post 7435812)
Have you seen the pattern Fancy Forest? It would be darling for an animal lover. I want to make one.

http://ohfransson.bigcartel.com/prod...-quilt-pattern

This pattern is $22, is that common? It seems like a lot of money to me! Just for a pattern

Tartan 01-16-2016 08:40 PM

I think it was www.fonsandporter.com magazine that had a couple of cute patterns about 3 years ago. The names were Dog Daze and Feline Frenzy. They were pieced patterns if that is something you would like.

DOTTYMO 01-17-2016 12:33 AM

You could use your stash and do bright coloured stars on a white background. Simple and I'm sure she would love the stars. The stars could be made with half square triangles two together in same colour to make a diamond.

Jcarpentier 01-17-2016 04:38 AM

Thanks for the ideas. I forgot to say it must be a simple design as I am a beginner. Thanks again!

Dina 01-17-2016 10:10 AM

2 Attachment(s)

Originally Posted by Jcarpentier (Post 7436110)
Thanks for the ideas. I forgot to say it must be a simple design as I am a beginner. Thanks again!

If you want simple and a great looking quilt, you can't go wrong with a focus fabric and the Warm Wishes pattern....which is a free pattern online.

I have made a few Warm Wishes. Let me attach a two pictures, in case they help you decide. The first picture is the one I am working on now. It is ready to be sandwiched. The focus fabric is a galaxy print. The second is a charity quilt I made earlier this year. This pattern goes together quickly.

Just food for thought... Warm Wishes might be what you are looking for. Just google Warm Wishes quilt pattern and you should find it easily.

Dina

Kitsie 01-17-2016 10:42 AM

Disappearing 9-Patch is my go to for having theme fabrics in a quilt. Many different layouts

Pennyhal 01-17-2016 12:37 PM

I make quilts with "seek and find" on one half and "matching" on the other. On one half of the quilt i use as many different novelty fabrics that I need for the size of the quilt I want to make. I cut two squares of the exactly same object as in the first cut. One half of them go on the "seek and find" side of the quilt. On the other half of the quilt, I mix the other half of fabrics all up. That way, if the quilt is folded in half, it is just a seek and find. If the quilt is opened up, it becomes a matching game where they find the matching half on the other part of the quilt. Usually, the quilts go on the floor so they can crawl around on it to look for the matches.

sahm4605 01-17-2016 02:23 PM

I say find two or three fabrics that you love and go find a pattern from there. I usually find a couple that i know my kids will love and then find a lovely pattern. I have actually had my kids pick out the fabric which usually garenties that they will like the quilt regardless of the pattern.

Bree123 01-17-2016 11:00 PM

Originally Posted by Fieryphoenix (Post 7435940)
This pattern is $22, is that common? It seems like a lot of money to me! Just for a pattern

For one that detailed, yes it is.

I was so impressed that Elise1 found a pieced pattern that has all those animals. I applique & would have suggested some applique quilts, except I was assuming that Jcarpentier wasn't looking for applique designs as it would be quite simple to gather some public domain designs of the little girl's favorite critters & turn them into applique. J, if you are indeed asking for cutesy applique designs with dinosaurs & dragons & such (perhaps a princess, too!), let us know & I'd be happy to post some links.

AZ Jane 01-18-2016 07:27 AM

1 Attachment(s)

Originally Posted by Fieryphoenix (Post 7435940)

The more intricate the pattern, usually the higher price. It appears to have many pieces. I have only paid that much once but it was fabulous and very easy to follow.
[ATTACH=CONFIG]540495[/ATTACH]